Hello All! I'm new to this board. I was finally "offically" diagnosed with Crohn's after having lots of stomach pain since January of this year. (My brother was diagnosed with Crohn's when he was 12 years old and had a resection at 15 years old. He is doing well now.) I am 37 years old and have always been very "regular" as it relates to my digestive system (no diarrhea). I started having lots of stomach pain in January followed by a brief hospital stay in Feb. While in the hospital, a colonoscopy showed inflammation (stricture) in ilieum/cecum area but the scope could not get through it. I was put on Asacol and then Pentasa for about
9 months and had a second colonoscopy in November that still showed inflammation (stricture) and again prevented the scope from going through. I did have a SBFT back in March and it showed narrowing only at the ilieum/cecum connection. My GI has given me the option of Remicade or surgery. While I would love to avoid surgery, I have to say I'm not excited about
the option of Remicade as well. The GI said that even if I decide to go with Remicade, he said it is just to delay the need for surgery.
I would be interested in hearing from those that had to decided between surgery and Remicade. Which option did you take and why?