Posted 7/12/2011 8:05 PM (GMT -7)
I've been on 6MP for 3-4 months now, and the GI did a prometheus test to see if I was at a therapeutic level yet. He called to tell me the labs show I'm not metabolizing the 6MP in a way that's helpful, and so is going to have me stop. We're going to wait and see how I do on just Pentasa for the rest of the summer, and then a colonoscopy in early September.
If the scope shows inflammation then it's probably onto cimzia. While I feel like it's a reasonable approach, I feel a bit disappointed the 6MP isn't working. I feel like I've burned through a ton of options in the last year--Imuran, humira, and remicade. On the plus side I am feeling better, and the joint pain and fatigue I had earlier this year from a remicade reaction seem to be gone. And since I've had a tough time with the remicade and humira, I'm not really looking forward to trying cimzia.
Part of me thinks well maybe the pentasa will be fine for a bit longer, and other part of me is annoyed. I get rashes when I'm out in the sun and I'm pretty well convinced it's the pentasa. So it just figures that the one drug that seems to work is one that makes it near impossible for me to enjoy being outside for reasonable periods of time with proper sunscreen use!
Anyway--just whining. I don't intend to worry about it too much until we see what the scope shows.