Posted 10/20/2011 5:56 PM (GMT -6)
The only drawback is the possibility of an allergic reaction...
I'll probably put you off them now, but the first time - a few years ago now - I received an iron transfusion I went into anaphylactic shock. Oops. Think that gave the staff a bit of a surprise. No lasting harm done, however. I apparently didn't lose a pulse so it was just a case of passing out and being revived with steroids.
For the successful attempt I was given a different type of iron, one less likely to cause an allergic reaction. The dose was also split into two, instead of the usual one, and the infusion rate slowed down. It worked. I got a small number of hives and the chills briefly, but after that my body accepted it, luckily. I think if I had the full dose at the normal rate, I would have had another bad allergic reaction.
Anyhow, anaphylactic reactions are rare, so it's really not likely to happen to you. Don't let it put you off! Just ask the staff to slow the infusion right down if you do detect any signs of an allergic reaction, however.