My cosuin was diagnosed with crohns jan 1 with a massive lump and inflammation in the illium and lots of pain. He has no other sypmtoms like D or blood or mucus, only the pain and lump. Started on steriods 40mg day and pentassa and started following SCD diet 100%.
After a few days at 40 mg, pain went away. Started tapering the steriods 5mg every 10 days. At 15mg pain returned, and GI increased dose back up to 20mg, and within two days, the pain disappeared again. Remained at 20mg for 10 days and then started tappering again, but this time by 2.5 mg every ten days and not 5mg as before. This last wed he tappered to 15mg again, and 2 days later (last night) excruciating pain returned.
GI is pushing big time for humira and my cousin has been resisting, but now he is starting to think twice, but has some questions he wanted me to ask here.
1) Whe you use steriods to control inflammation, is this common to feel fine at (for example) 17.5mg and then by only dropping 2.5 mg to have the pain start up again?
2) If you only use steriods, how long does it take to reduce inflammation?
3) When you start humira, how long does it take for pain to go away? Is it quick like the steriods?
4) If you are on humira for 3 or 4 months and have no more inflammation and pain, can you stop humira and go back to pentassa as a maintenance drug? I know GIs won't like that, but is it possible and has anyone here done that?
5) Drugs like 6mp or immuran, do they act fast and reduce inflammation?
Post Edited (NY-Sooner) : 3/9/2012 7:31:39 AM (GMT-7)