Posted 5/7/2012 2:04 PM (GMT -6)
I had this surgery last June. Please see the second link in my signature for a lot of details I shared about my recovery last year.
I was concerned about having my IC valve removed, too. A lot of people advised me that it may lead to a lot of bad D for long past the recovery period...for me, it wasn't uncontrollable, exploding, or anything, but I did have more D than anything else for about 3 weeks. I didn't take anything for it during that time, because I didn't want to mess with the bowel muscles re-learning how to work together.
Since then, I've had more trouble with constipation. Doctor has me on miralax daily, and that keeps my bowels moving OK. For D, I've heard that there is a powder they can give you to help with that, too. So either way, you'll find out what the problem is, if anything, after a couple of month, and they'll have a powder to help you out.
Words of wisdom...a lot of folks here have said that they felt so much better after the surgery. I would say that, too. However, I stop short of saying "I wish I wouldn't have put it off so long" for a couple of reasons.
1 - I wanted to make sure it really was immovable scar tissure and not an active flare. I wanted surgery to be a last resort because
2 - There are risks with surgeries. The risks are usually pretty small, but folks generally don't want to have a surgery unless there are no alternatives. I don't want to be a history revisionist and say that since the outcome was good for me that I shouldn't have waited.