I have been making SCD yogurt since 2007 and through much trial and error and using different makers and techniques, I have found this to be the best and easist way to make it.
1) I have tried various yogurt makers and found the Euro Cuisine Yogurt maker is the best I have found for the price and quality. You can get it at Target for $29
2) I found that using heavy cream instead of milk because makes the yogurt more thick and fluffy, and also it has a lot more calories. If calories are a problem, then you can use skim milk, but the texture is just not the same as with heavy cream.
3) I start by putting 1 quart of heavy cream and two additional jars of heavy cream in a sauce pan. This is just enough to fill all the jars of the Euro Cuisine yogurt maker.
4) Heat the heavy cream till it comes to a complete boil, then turn it off. You are doing this to kill any bacteria currently in the cream. You must constantly stir the heavy cream while heating it so it will not burn. If you just heat to a boil with no stirring, it will have a burnt taste.
5) Let the cream sit and cool until it is just luke warm. If you let cool longer, it isn’t a problem.
6) Pour the cream through a strainer to remove all the whey that forms on top after it cools.
7) Add two packets of yogurt starter to the cream and stir thoroughly to make sure it is mixed well. I use Yogourmet freeze dried starter which you can get in any health food store. Directions say to use one packet, but I found two is better and gives the yogurt a better taste. It also puts more bacteria in your system when you eat it.
8) Let it sit for another 15 min so the freeze dried bacteria has time to dissolve in the cream.
9) Fill each of the small jars and turn on the heat and let it sit for 24-30 hours. The directions on the yogurt maker say 7 hours, but that is not enough to eliminate all the lactose, it has to sit for 24 plus hours.
10) This yogurt has a very tangy taste compared to store bought yogurt so I found the best way to eat it is adding honey and cinnamon. One of my favorite dishes is to peal an apple and cut it into small pieces and heat it in a sauce pan with butter until the apple just starts to brown, Then put the apples in a dish and cover with a jar of yogurt , honey and cinnamon.
I hope this helps all those people thinking about trying SCD diet.