Posted 7/9/2017 9:30 AM (GMT -7)
So I've been on remicade for 10 years, and recently took care of a patient who had lung cancer and pneumonia so was understably coughing constantly, often in our faces.... Turns out he has active TB as well. Half the nursing unit including went for baseline blood work (quantiferon gold) then need repeat bloodwork in 12 weeks to see if we have TB antibodies, meaning latent (not contagious at the moment) or active TB.
My GI doc is sending me for a chest x-ray, but said I can continue getting remicade while we wait for the 12 week labwork. That surprised me... Before remicade is started you need to make sure you don't have TB, so wouldn't it be the same now? I've done research on the forums and it seems many ppl had to wait to verify no TB, and then if they took antibiotics for latent TB, had to be off the med for additional months. The posts were a few years old though, so maybe things have changed. Does anyone else have experience with this? I'm debating if I should go to another GI practice and get a second opinion.