helo with a decision about prednisone

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

Regular Member

Date Joined Dec 2003
Total Posts : 494
   Posted 9/14/2007 8:17 PM (GMT -7)   
for the past 3 months i have been in a middle of a flair, my remicade stopped working. my GI has decided to up me to 10mg/kg and redo the induction doses. so for 3 months i have been on 40mg of prednisone and soon itll be time to come off. im haveing my 2 week infusion on tuesday then i have one 6 weeks after that. my problem is that the GI said i can start to come down on the pred when i feel like i am ready. ok i am SO ready i HATE it. i am having such bad side effects its driving me crazy! id stop today if i didnt have to taper down so slowly. buuuuuuuuuttt.........im not sure when is going to be the right time. they siad if i want to be safe i can wait until the 6 week infusion and see of all my symptoms clear up by then.
heres where i stand now. i dont have much pain ( but im on pain meds so i dont count that really) and the pred has slowed me down incredibly. sometimes i actually go once a day. but when i do go it is always diarreah and is never formed at all. and like when i was first diagnosed when i got to the BR it is awful. i get dizzy and nauseas and i feel like i am going to be sick. and althought i can eat more foods now without trouble there are still times when i have the urgency and have to go as soon as i eat something bad and ill have a few days where im all screwed up again.
so what im wondering is when should i wait until. i know for a fact that the pred is what is helping, as much as i hate it and i dont know how ill be able to tell that it is the remicade taking over. so you think i should wait until my symptoms dissappear sompletely before i try to taper off? or will it just not be that way and ill always have symptioms? prior to this flare i was in remission for a year so i just dont know how much of the symptioms to accept as feeling better. does tha tmake sense?
i know this is a long and confused post but i am confused:) what would you do if you were me. when would you start to taper off?
Crohn's Disease Diagnosed 12/24/03 (Thats Right, Merry Christmas to me!)
Probable MS

Veteran Member

Date Joined Oct 2004
Total Posts : 3042
   Posted 9/15/2007 2:30 AM (GMT -7)   
Hi Bunny,
I would start to tapper down of the pred and see how you feel. I hope this time the Remicade
works for you. My prayers are with you that the Remicade works this time for you.
Hi, I am teddybearweiser, I am a male.
I was diagnosed with crohns disease when i was admitted to the hospital
in 1992, in Jan of 1993 I was back in the hospital for surgery for my crohns. I had part of my right colon resectioned with ilecolonstomy.
 My GI doctor has me on Asacol, Dicyclomine,Imuran,Celebrex and Remicade. B-12 injection once a month.
My Internest doctor has me on Lisnopril-HTCZ and Folic Acid. Diagnosed
with Osteoarthritis July 2007

Veteran Member

Date Joined Mar 2007
Total Posts : 4527
   Posted 9/15/2007 4:31 AM (GMT -7)   
Hi Bunny When I was on 40 I didnn't get the D and that's with Rem I also went the low roughage diet.I am having to come off the pred. because my glucose went up so I reduce one half tab a week ,yesterday I spent the day running to bathroom all day at 7mgs .I do this since lowering my pred. and then I"ll have it upped and so on.I am having alot of air passing which is good because I have alot of gurgling in there. For me I am just going to keep reducing .You will have to think about how you are feeling and I am not sure if you should wait until you get your other Rem. treatments or not have you been on it before with the Rem? I am like you wondering how it will go after the pred. is gone.I guess I will have to see and go from there.I will say that 20 helps me alot with not as many sideffects. lol gail

Veteran Member

Date Joined Dec 2005
Total Posts : 637
   Posted 9/15/2007 9:30 AM (GMT -7)   
40mg a day, for 3 months, I would be quite confused myself.

I would push my doctor to do whatever was necessary to get that dose DOWN.
You have almost no quality of life at that dose.

Have you looked into humira, if remicade is starting to fail you?

Imuran may let you take less pred, it does exactly that for me.

Hang in there
CD dx @ 13 (1987)
Prednisone 15mg every other day
Imuran 150mg day
Colazal 750mg 1 tablet 3x day
Pain Meds

Regular Member

Date Joined Dec 2003
Total Posts : 494
   Posted 9/16/2007 7:14 PM (GMT -7)   
thanks for the replies. i think i am going to stay on it for another week, get one more remicade into me and then ill start to wean down. i usually have to go 5mg r 2.5 mg a week becasue it gives me severe problems. im just ready to be off of it. and i guess i wont know if the cade is working if i dont try anyhow.
thanks again :)

Crohn's Disease Diagnosed 12/24/03 (Thats Right, Merry Christmas to me!)
Probable MS

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
Forum Information
Currently it is Monday, December 18, 2017 12:20 AM (GMT -7)
There are a total of 2,906,649 posts in 318,983 threads.
View Active Threads

Who's Online
This forum has 158323 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, 11:11.
216 Guest(s), 1 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details