Need advice aboout son!!!!

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

New Member

Date Joined Sep 2007
Total Posts : 19
   Posted 9/28/2007 5:37 AM (GMT -7)   
Hi all still in hospital...the attempt to drain son with ct guided needle did not work...needle or tube feel out of abcess while they were trying to put tube in....son said very painful. Now they want to try again in a couple of days...but it is has to wait. My son who is 20 is insisting on going home and doing prosedure again as out patient. My Mama concerns..he stll has abcess and fistula and will not have the stronger intravenos antibiotisc at home..second after the procedure he will go home with drain and would not be moniotrd carefully like he would be in hospital..the docs really want him to stay....ut he wants to go home.I just think after investing this much time here doing all the right things if we go home and something happens we will go 10 steps backwards.He has not even ben on a solid fod diet here yet to see how he will tolerate them. Am I being a worry wart? I know if I want him to.he will stay..just do not want to bethe meanie...advice plse...has any one had ct giuded drain pu in and then gone home? Any advice from other parents..Thanks Deese

Veteran Member

Date Joined Dec 2006
Total Posts : 1986
   Posted 9/28/2007 6:47 AM (GMT -7)   
What does the doctor say about all this? You should talk to him about it frankly. If there's reasons to stay for your son's safety, it should be explained to both of you (ie: rupture of abscess, obstruction). How far away do you live from the hospital? How long a wait is average for your hospital's ER? You may want to consider all these things. Maybe they can let him go home for the weekend, on a liquid diet, and re-admit him the day of the procedure? If the doctor says no way, then you should side with him to be on the safe side.

Usually, hospitals don't keep you these days unless there's reason, they can't for insurance purposes. Hospital stays are shorter and shorter. If he's still there, it must be medically necessary.
49 years old, CD since I was a child.    
Six resection surgeries, permanent ostomy, adverse reactions to Remicade finally off of Prednisone, hoping for a long remission from this last surgery. 

Elite Member

Date Joined Apr 2005
Total Posts : 14995
   Posted 9/28/2007 6:52 AM (GMT -7)   
I agree with JudyK89. My opinion is since he has this abcess that he really is where he should be. I know hospitals can be unpleasant, but he isn't even eating solid foods yet, he still has the abcess and infection, so honestly no, he shouldn't go home. Things could go horribly wrong. I don't think you are being mean, you are being a mother who only wants the best for her child. And right now, the best is that he stay in the hospital. God Bless!
Been living with Crohn's Disease for 32 years.  Currently on Asacol, Prilosec 60 mg, Estrace, Prinivil, Diltiazem, Percoset prn for pain and Calcium.  Resections in 2002 and 2005.  Recently diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and doing tests to see if I have Inflammatory Arthritis or AS.

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
Forum Information
Currently it is Tuesday, January 16, 2018 9:50 AM (GMT -7)
There are a total of 2,917,600 posts in 320,146 threads.
View Active Threads

Who's Online
This forum has 159234 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, manav.
344 Guest(s), 13 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details
kimbo62, George_, PeteZa, RedEye, Ides, HitchHiker, PamSmith, Lynnwood, Saipan Paradise, MichelleGG, k07, frankinstein, Tall Allen