I've been in the hospital for one week and was supposed to have my next infusion of Remicade today. I was amazed when my docs told me that I'll have to wait for the day of my discharge (whenever that might be) to receive my second Remicade infusion. I'll have to sign my discharge papers and walk over to the outpatient unit to receive my infusion.
The hope is that the Remicade will help quiet my current flare up which consists of a partial obstruction and fistula.
Somehow my policy will cover outpatient infusions but not inpatient infusions of Remicade. Sure doesn't seem cost effective to me to have me stay as an inpatient for several more days until the docs are comfortable with releasing me as an inpatient. I'm sure they're paying thousands of dollars a day with the possibility of paying for surgery of the another method doesn't help soon.
Is it me?? Should they have some exceptions for something that would cost shareholder's substantial money? Since they have agreed to pay for the infusion as an outpatient, doesn't it make finanical sense to provide the infusion as an inpatient?
Thanks for listening!