New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

Veteran Member

Date Joined May 2005
Total Posts : 1362
   Posted 10/25/2007 12:47 PM (GMT -7)   
I needed to know how to apply for COBRA insurance. In a year, I won't be covered under my dad's insurance, and I will still be in college. I can't get covered by a medically underwritten plan. I was told that if I had a COBRA plan for 12 months, no one could deny me insurance due to a preexisting medical condition, aka Crohns. I wanted to be able to work it out so that I will have a good health insurance plan once I am not covered under my dad. Any advice appreciated!
"Of one thing I am certain, the body is not the measure of healing - peace is the measure. ~George Melton~"

Current Meds include:Colazal, Prednisone, Nexium and Remicade

Forum Moderator

Date Joined Nov 2003
Total Posts : 7119
   Posted 10/25/2007 3:41 PM (GMT -7)   
I started checking about 6 months before my daughter was going to "age out" of coverage under her father's policy. He called the personnel department of his work and talked to the admin of the health care policies. about 3 months before she was going to be off, they sent a package explaining about COBRA. There were forms to fill out and be accompanied by a check.

When she got a job with health coverage, the COBRA policy holder sent a "Certificate of Insurance Continuity" that showed which months/years she was covered. This was presented to the new employer that copied it and gave it to their health policy holder. Therefore her thyroid and allergiy conditions could not be exempted from coverage.
Moderator Crohn's Disease Forum
CD, Ankylosing Spondylitis, small fiber peripheral neuropathy, avascular necrosis, diffuse connective tissue disease, Sjogren's Syndrome ?

Forum Moderator

Date Joined Apr 2007
Total Posts : 32602
   Posted 10/25/2007 4:07 PM (GMT -7)   

I agree with the above. It is generally the employee's responsibility to notify the benefits manager of the qualifying event has occurred, or will be occuring. In your case it is a limiting age by the dependent child.

Once you are offered continuation, you must elect to continue coverage within a certain time period, called the election period. If you don't tell the employer you want to continue coverage before the election period expires, you may lose your right to continue coverage. If you have the option of either the state or federal continuations, once you make your choice, you can't change your decision if the election period has expired.

You must pay the entire premium for the coverage, including the part your parent  used to pay as well as the part the employer paid before the qualifying event. In addition, you may also be required to pay an administrative fee under certain circumstances for COBRA.

Please check into this early as noted by Ides and good luck. Take care and gentle hugs.


Moderator Anxiety ~ Panic Disorders
*~* Not a mental health professional at all *~*
Dx: Anxiety/Panic, Depression, GERD, Osteoarthritis
*Wife of a Crohnie*
It is health that is real wealth and not pieces of gold and silver.~Mahatma Gandhi~

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
Forum Information
Currently it is Monday, November 20, 2017 2:29 AM (GMT -7)
There are a total of 2,895,655 posts in 317,819 threads.
View Active Threads

Who's Online
This forum has 157431 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, hehe000961.
238 Guest(s), 4 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details
goshawk, RedLabel, bjj0619, testuser1234

About Us | Advertise | Donate
Newsletter | Privacy Policy & Disclaimer
Follow on Facebook Follow on Twitter Follow on Pinterest
©1996-2017 LLC  All Rights Reserved.