I went through a bad flare last year during my first year of UC. This year has been great as ive been in remission. However, I have this annoying fistula on my anus. Last year when it was doing its thing I thought it was a hemmie. It was the most painful experience of my life. I could barely walk last fall. The pain was absolutely excruciating!!!!!! Came home every evening and laid in the tub then laid in my bed. Time went on and it got much better just some sporadic annoying oozing. I finally got the guts to go to a surgeon and he probed me and decided I have a fistula (OUCH!)
Of course he wants me to now test for crohns which I plan to do after the new year. Dont really want to chance messing up anything now that I feel good so we will see down the line. He did prescribe me flagyl /cipro regimen to see if it will close up. This was a few weeks ago and being I have been in remission didnt want to mess things up so I put them aside. Well the lightbulb went off and now I am willing to give it a go so I started the script
s last night and will continue for about
a month or so I guess until I run out. Call it the placebo effect but I do feel a little difference down there. My question for those with similiar experiences with antibiotic treatment for fistulas is did it work and if so how long did it take to heal. I know they can reoccur but feel that since I am in remission the likelihood is much less than if I were in a flare so I just want to take care of it if I can and avoid surgery obviously. Please let me know of your experience with healing the fistula if you have or have not. I know there are alternatives to put a seton(sp) in and remicade but know this is the first step to see if it will heal via the antibiotics....Thanks!
- 29 y/o single IT professional male residing in Northern VA, USA
- UC Diagnosis - April, 2006 - Symptoms were sudden and drastic
- GI did not determine type of UC as I was too inflamed during the c-scope
- Completed 3rd Prednisone taper on 4/13/07 - Tapered from early January through mid-April after being hospitalized from a bad flare with anemia & severe joint pain.
- Currently in remission and enjoying life again since getting out of the hospital in early Jan 07' from a nasty flare
- Survive on 4 Colazal/day, 1 GNC Multivitamin, occassional Fish oil & Primal Defense Probiotics
- Enjoy the outdoors, relaxing and spending time with family and friends
Post Edited (UMDTerp2001) : 12/7/2007 9:32:44 AM (GMT-7)