New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

New Member

Date Joined Jun 2009
Total Posts : 7
   Posted 7/29/2009 9:03 AM (GMT -7)   
if your under eighteen do you have to have parental consent to go to counseling.
im from wisconsin.
i only wanna go if i dont have to have consent from them cause i dont wanna tell my parents i think i need it.

getting by
Forum Moderator

Date Joined Sep 2007
Total Posts : 41830
   Posted 7/29/2009 2:26 PM (GMT -7)   
Have you talked to any school counselors? You can call your local mental health or a family doctor to get started. Any of the above should be albe to help you. I don't know what the rules are on that. But I am sure that your doctor or school counselor could help you with this.

What is it that makes you feel that you need counseling? If you are comfortable with telling us, please let us know. And hopefully somebody who knows more about the rules and laws will come along and know about the age thing.

I hope that you have a wonderful day today. Take care,

Hugs, Karen
  Moderator-Depression and fibromyalgia
fibromyalgia, Chronic fatigue, depression,allergies

Veteran Member

Date Joined Jul 2008
Total Posts : 2315
   Posted 7/29/2009 6:34 PM (GMT -7)   
The rules vary by state. You can ask the counselor ahead of time whether they need to report all youth appointments and if they only report in certain cases, what those situations would be. In all states, by law, counselors are required to report youth who they believe are a danger to themselves or others, or if someone is a danger to the youth.

I think Karen gave you a good idea about talking to school counselors. I realize though that school is not in session right now. If you are looking for counselors that will work on a free/low-cost basis, you could try searching on the Covenant House website --

I do want to encourage you to talk to your parents, though. I realize that it may seem impossible to talk to parents, but more often than not people find out that their parents really don't make too big of a deal out of it & are supportive. Besides that, they can provide insurance or money for appointments (there are not too many counselors these days who will take patients paying less than full price -- in my experience, first appointments run about $300 & follow-up appointments run $90/30-45 minutes). If your parents are abusive, realize that your counselor would have to report that to the authorities, who may in turn contact your parents. So you may want to address that ahead of time by calling the NineLine (1.800.999.9999) and having them ask the counselor how filing a report would work.

I hope things work out for you. I think it is very wise of you to realize that you need help & to want to get it. :) Keep posting & let us know how we can support you.

Best wishes,
Moderator -- Depression Forum

Elite Member

Date Joined Mar 2009
Total Posts : 19913
   Posted 7/30/2009 1:29 AM (GMT -7)   
i am in australia, so it is different here. just wanted to acknowledge your insight in needing and asking for help. i admire your courage. jamie
dx, mdd, severe borderline personality disorder.
New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
Forum Information
Currently it is Monday, November 20, 2017 2:16 PM (GMT -7)
There are a total of 2,895,898 posts in 317,844 threads.
View Active Threads

Who's Online
This forum has 157450 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, Floyd123.
422 Guest(s), 22 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details
Pohaku53, Froggy88, Lapis_29, PeppermintTea, cashlessclay, MsZaiger, Kat1000, Hope4Happiness, 1000Daisies, Tick41, Missouri, Paxton, tonyaraven, bjj0619, Deacon Blues, exqualls, PNWBoarder, Szabo246, tune, Tall Allen, happyjo, iPoop

About Us | Advertise | Donate
Newsletter | Privacy Policy & Disclaimer
Follow on Facebook Follow on Twitter Follow on Pinterest
©1996-2017 LLC  All Rights Reserved.