New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

Regular Member

Date Joined Jul 2011
Total Posts : 25
   Posted 8/7/2011 8:47 PM (GMT -6)   
Hi i'm 18 years old and have depression, there are many things in my life that bring me down and I feel that I need to talk to someone regularly. I had been using the councellor at my college as someone to talk to and to help me through the things making me feel down, however, I'm starting the new term this year and I don't wish to continue talking with her. For a councellor she seems quite old (in her frame of mind), some of my problems are family related and she isn't sympathetic at all. She sits there and kind of turns it back on me, now I'm not saying for one second that I expect to go to a councellors, slag everyone off and be told I'm perfect, but she makes it sound like my parents are always right for treating me how they do. An example, if I come in and try and talk to my mum at night I get told to **** off because she wants her downtime, irregardless of me not seeing her all day. Now I am willing to accept everyone needs downtime but she's my mother she should want to see me! Anyway I don't feel like the councellor is listening or helping and I was just wondering where else you can go for councelling. I am aware that the doctors offer a service but one of the things I seek help for is an extreme fear of doctors due to having so many operations as a child. My fear is so bad I pass out regularly in doctors surgeries. Recently I have been leaning on my boyfriend for support and offloading on him but I just dont feel this is entirely healthy on our relationship, I feel like I need to be able to cope without running to him, but I do need someone to talk to as doing it alone is too much. So basically if there is anywhere with free support that isn't my college councellor or a doctor I would be grateful.
Thank you

Elite Member

Date Joined Mar 2009
Total Posts : 20279
   Posted 8/7/2011 11:57 PM (GMT -6)   
i would check with your local mental health centre. they will surely have some info on compassionate therapists / counsellors. with much compassion, jamie.

or your dept of human and family services. all the best.


getting by
Forum Moderator

Date Joined Sep 2007
Total Posts : 42612
   Posted 8/8/2011 10:37 AM (GMT -6)   
These sites might help you out.
Both of these sites are free and might help you until you find a different counselor.  I am sorry that your mom says what she does and doesn't want to talk.  Maybe you could talk with her at a different time and let her know how she causes you to feel.  Keep posting here too.  It really helps.
Hugs, Karen
Moderator-Depression and fibromyalgia

fibromyalgia, Chronic fatigue, depression, allergies
New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
Forum Information
Currently it is Monday, September 24, 2018 4:10 PM (GMT -6)
There are a total of 3,006,187 posts in 329,313 threads.
View Active Threads

Who's Online
This forum has 161825 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, TheRayf.
327 Guest(s), 10 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details
mattamx, PeterDisAbelard., Admin, Zimica, Tudpock18, Avid1, 61Impala, Chutz, Envsciguy, Shayanv