I can certainly understand your frustration and know all to well that the more tired you get the worse the frustration gets.
My best advice to you is to pull out all the stops and don't rely on any single "trick" to help with sleep.
1. Warm bath 1-2 hours before bed.
2. Learn relaxation and meditation techniques. Learn to clear you mind.
3. Herbal teas.
4. Remove all distractions from your sleeping area like TV's, radios, etc.
5. Avoid caffeine, especially in the last 6-8 hours before going to bed.
6. If you are easily woken up by outside noise try using a white noise machine, or even a fan.
7. Talk with your doctor, especially if you are taking medication. Many meds interfere with the sleep process. There may be more going on than "simple" insomnia and a sleep study might be needed and of use.
2 confirmed herniated lumbar discs. Spinal Arthritis. Spinal Stenosis, diabetic peripheral nueropathy.