Who should I see about medication for my depression?

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

Over summer, I get really
New Member

Date Joined Dec 2011
Total Posts : 1
   Posted 12/19/2011 8:34 AM (GMT -6)   
I was talking to some friends earlier about seeing a psychiatrist, but they said a psychiatrist couldn't prescribe me medication, that I have to go to a doctor. Even though I'm 18, my doctor is a pediatrician and I don't see him anymore nor do I want to. What do I do?
Yoga Poses

Post Edited (Over summer, I get really) : 12/21/2011 8:18:09 AM (GMT-7)

Veteran Member

Date Joined Sep 2006
Total Posts : 2861
   Posted 12/19/2011 8:42 AM (GMT -6)   
A psychiatrist is a doctor and can prescribe meds...a PSYCHOLOGIST cannot. Mayve your doc can reccommend a psychiatrist and counselor

Good luck
"We never realize how strong we are, until being strong is the only thing left"
Major Depressive Disorder, ptsd, fibromyalgia, chronic pain, l3/4, L4/5 gone, bursitis arthritis sciatica

cymbalta seroquel hydrocodone klonopin magnesium potassium

getting by
Forum Moderator

Date Joined Sep 2007
Total Posts : 42609
   Posted 12/19/2011 9:52 AM (GMT -6)   
Yes a psychiatrist can prescribe meds. Some psychologists can prescribe certain prescriptions. I would talk to you psychiatrist about the need for meds. I hope that you can get some help. Talk therapy is good too.

Welcome to the forum!!!

Hugs, Karen
Moderator-Depression and fibromyalgia

fibromyalgia, Chronic fatigue, depression, allergies

Veteran Member

Date Joined Jul 2009
Total Posts : 2042
   Posted 12/19/2011 10:27 AM (GMT -6)   
A psychiatrist, (mental health doctor who can prescribe meds) would be the best choice as s/he will be the most familiar with these types of meds.

Your family "doctor" would be your 2nd and only other option. (I put doctor in quotation marks because some people may see a physicians assistant or nurse practitioner for most of their health needs instead of an actual doctor. PA's and NP's can RX most if not all anti-depressants.)

If you do see a psychiatrist and get put on meds it would be a good idea to notify your health care doctor of what meds you are on and who RX'd them. This way you can help avoid any possible drug interactions. The same goes in reverse too. Be sure to keep the psychiatrist informed of any meds other doctors RX you, even for a short time.
2 confirmed herniated lumbar discs. Spinal Arthritis. Spinal Stenosis, diabetic peripheral nueropathy.
Moderator Depression Forum.

Regular Member

Date Joined Nov 2011
Total Posts : 227
   Posted 12/20/2011 2:08 AM (GMT -6)   
Hello new member, agree with all, seeing a psychiatrist initially is good as they have expertise in medication for mental illness. Then if you cannot regularly contact your psychiatrist you can get a prescription off your doctor, this is what I am doing. But dont wait until you are really bad as I did because I have remained in major depression over 12 months and sometimes the medications just dont help. Also a clinical psychologist is really good and can help you with issues that may be causing your illness.
New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
Forum Information
Currently it is Wednesday, September 19, 2018 1:35 PM (GMT -6)
There are a total of 3,004,726 posts in 329,166 threads.
View Active Threads

Who's Online
This forum has 161748 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, Adil.
355 Guest(s), 10 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details
ezhoe, clocknut, Kent M., Octobergirl, PeterDisAbelard., JNF, Sherrine, moeskeeter, Sahale, iPoop