need push in right direction

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

Regular Member

Date Joined Dec 2006
Total Posts : 40
   Posted 1/6/2007 9:22 PM (GMT -6)   
This isn't really related to depression, but because I am a sufferer, I need advise and nowhere else to turn.
As some of you know, I was in an abusive relationship and have a son from it. The "sperm donor" has not known where we are since we left years ago, have had no contact, child support, nothing. My son is seven now and I am not looking forward to the day he asks if he has a real father. Anyway, in preschool and in kindergarten, the schools were very cool about having the sperm donor's name on a list of people that can never pick my son up. My son's last name is hyphenated with my name and "his". Now that my son is in first grade, they say they can't legally respect my wishes and only use my last name. My son doesn't know this name exists and he corrects people when they "get it wrong".
When the time comes and he asks, I will of course, tell him the truth. In the meantime, I desperately want to legally change the last part of his last name. Today, my depression has turned in to anger enough to get me thinking and decide that I am not waitng any longer for my fiance to legally adopt "our" son. I looked on-line, and all I can find is info. on adopting, divorce, that kind of stuff. Nothing specific to my situation.
I am asking if any one here knows where I can go before this research gives me an anxiety attack.
Please, please, please and thank you, thank you, thank you! :)

Regular Member

Date Joined Jul 2006
Total Posts : 214
   Posted 1/6/2007 11:25 PM (GMT -6)   
In the state that I live in, they offer free legal advise. I have never used it, but it should be in the phone book. Some attorney's offer free consultations. You could also call the Social Security Administration for help. I hope this helps!

Veteran Member

Date Joined Oct 2005
Total Posts : 4031
   Posted 1/7/2007 11:03 AM (GMT -6)   
Hi holly, Jwalter is right most states do offer free legal advice especially if you have a low income...I am not assuming that you do here just that most single mothers struggle.  I think it is called Legal Aid or something of that nature...sorry I'm not much help eyes

Co~Mod: Depression
Moderator: Heart & Cardiovascular Disease

Veteran Member

Date Joined Dec 2005
Total Posts : 3036
   Posted 1/8/2007 7:51 AM (GMT -6)   
Just wanted to let you know that if there is a college with a legal dept in your area,or nearby area you can call them and they will give you free legal advice too.
Chronic Depression, Panic Attacks,Anxiety Attacks,Anorexia

Veteran Member

Date Joined Oct 2006
Total Posts : 902
   Posted 1/12/2007 1:04 AM (GMT -6)   
Hi Holly, go to a website I used to pay $26/mo. for unlimited free legal advice. The advice comes from "real attorneys" at "real lawfirms." You can pay one month and use the service right away. I hope this helps. Good luck with your endeavor and bless you and your Son.
"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference. Amen."
Please allow HealingWell to continue helping others by donating:

Regular Member

Date Joined Dec 2006
Total Posts : 40
   Posted 1/12/2007 1:35 PM (GMT -6)   
thanks for the info. guys! i appreciate all of you and i'l keep you posted!
New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
Forum Information
Currently it is Sunday, September 23, 2018 2:11 AM (GMT -6)
There are a total of 3,005,800 posts in 329,264 threads.
View Active Threads

Who's Online
This forum has 161804 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, FADE IN:.
192 Guest(s), 6 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details
Sarge 83, FADE IN:, CatLady18, fiddlecanoe, NotQuiteAntonio, colitisresearch