Your liver and your body cells make about
75% of the cholesterol in your blood. The other 25% comes from your food. The American Heart Association recommends the following:
1. Consume a Healthy Diet:
Your primary care physician will recommend consuming a healthy diet which can help control blood cholesterol levels. Consuming fiber may help lower cholesterol. You should avoid trans-fats, unsaturated fat and dietary cholesterol as they have a tendency to raise cholesterol levels. You should limit your alcohol intake because it can cause high blood pressure which increases your risk of heart attack or stroke.
2. Maintain a Healthy Weight:
Obesity may raise bad cholesterol levels. Losing weight may help drastically reduce your levels.
3. Exercise Regularly:
Physical activity helps maintain weight and lower cholesterol. Adults should participate in some form of physical activity for a minimum of 30 minutes per day.
4. Do Not Smoke:
Smoking damages blood vessels and increases the hardening of arteries. Smoking dramatically increases your risk of heart disease and stroke. If you do not presently smoke, you should not start. If you do presently smoke, quitting will greatly reduce your risks.
Post Edited By Moderator (LanieG) : 4/3/2013 8:35:43 AM (GMT-6)