Thanx for your reply. I have a few comments to make about your reply:
1) I see a Neurologist rather than an Epileptologist simply because I also have another condition (ulcerative colitis) and he is familiar with this condition as well and works with my GI for the proper coctail of meds, he knows how the meds for each condition will interact with each other, he also believes that both conditions are related as they both come at the same time and are stress related. My case has been documented in the Canadian Medical Journal. An Epileptologist will only treat the seizure condition.
2) I've only had one grande-mal seizure in 25 yrs, my seizures and Colitis flare-ups are under control so why should I consider changing meds or even going off them completely, "IF IT'S NOT BROKE, DON'T FIX IT".
3) I haven't even cosidered surgery, no reason to.
4) I do have a lot of side effects from the meds.
5) At my age now, the only inconvenience that really bothers me is not being able to drive after driving my whole adult life.
Diagnosed with epilepsy and ulcerative colitis in 1979,
Been on meds ever since.