As the title of my post says, I'm a bit confused. I got diagnosed with chronic fatigue syndrome a few years ago, but I'm not so sure that's what I have anymore. In my search to figure out what's up, I kind of lost patience a couple of weeks ago. I told my new primary care doctor some of my symptoms and pressured him to take a guess, and he came back with "temporal lobe epilepsy" (and made sure I knew that he didn't have experience dealing with symptoms like these). I thanked him for his effort, but I dismissed epilepsy at the time. My question to people here is whether or not I could have a form of epilepsy.
For some reason I've been blocking a lot of symptoms out of my head, but at the end of July I started paying more attention to what they were so I could get some help. Here are the ones I can think of:
- It's like I blank out then suddenly become aware of myself. I'll just find myself staring but not looking at anything, and sometimes to figure out what I was trying to do, I have to rely on my memory of my earlier thoughts or look for clues around me-- sorry if that made no sense.
* I've noticed this happening while trying to shower, make coffee, read
* I don't think this happens when I'm engaged in conversation with another person. Instead, the next one seems to happen a lot:
- I'll be talking about something with someone, and I do NOT forget that we had been talking, I just forget what it was about.
- I just lose my thoughts sometimes. It's like the information I need is in my short term memory, and as I try to grab it and use it, it starts trying to escape, and I can't seem to move fast enough to grab it before it escapes
- Sometimes I'm very forgetful. But sometimes I'm not.
- Alternating cycles of insomnia and hypersomnia
Alright alright, there was ONCE where I had convulsions. I just started feeling really sick, then I tried to walk to my bed to lie down and was staggering everywhere, then I thought I'd made it to my bed and just collapsed and started convulsing. It took me a few minutes to realize that I'd missed my bed and gotten the window seat, and when I could, I got into bed. I felt fine again 30 minutes later.
- This was in early 2004. Since then, I've felt the way I felt then before the convulsions started, but I haven't had convulsions.
So my basic question is: is epilepsy something I should look into? What does this sound like? Any ideas?
Also, I know I was having some problems starting in 2000, but I'm not sure if they were like this. All I know is that things got a lot worse, at least for a while, in 2003 after I took Flagyl (an antibiotic) for a week.
Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and take care.