We had a very scary incident happen yesterday afternoon! I put a load of clothes in our dryer (which we bought used 4 years ago-it's probably about
25 years old) at around 3:30 yesterday, and at about
4:00, I got a whiff of something that smelled like melting crayons. I turned the dryer off and told my hubby that something was wrong and he came in and took the top off of it and saw that it was smoking. Soon after, our smoke detectors started going off, so hubby unplugged the dryer and we
opened up all of our windows. He then realized that the dryer was smoking even more after he unplugged it, so he called his dad and told him to bring down a fire extinguisher (yes, I know we need one of our own-we'll definitely be picking one up asap!!) and his dad recommended that my hubby load the dryer onto the hand cart and take it outside. Well, apparently there was some paper or something under the dryer, because as soon as hubby lifted it up, it just went WHOOSH! and flames started shooting up all over the place! At this point I realized we had a definite situation on our hands, so I got our kids and the dogs and grabbed the cordless phone and took everybody outside and called 911. Hubby stayed inside to beat the flames down with a damp towel (Fortunately, I had towels in the dryer when the whole thing started. I had pulled them out as soon as it started smoking, so hubby was able to grab one quickly.) The fire department showed up about
3 minutes later, but by this point hubby had gotten all of the flames out. They made him go outside, too, so they could check things out. They took the dryer outside and sprayed the floor down with foam and went down into our basement to make sure there weren't any elecrical lines smouldering or anything. After about
15 minutes they came out and told us everything was fine and nothing else was burning. The guy that wrote the report told us that it was probably lint buildup that had started smoking, which created just enough heat to catch the paper undearneath on fire when the oxygen hit it. Luckily, the only major damage was to the dryer itself (the bottom of it is all burned and black) and some minor damage to the floor underneath it.
So fortunately everything turned out ok-we were VERY lucky that this happened during the day when everyone was awake and we were home and could call 911 very quickly. Also, it is a very good thing that hubby smacked the flames out with the towel, because the flames were so big that it could have turned into a HUGE house fire in a very short period of time! It was a scary experience, but I am so so thankful that everyone is ok and there wasn't any major damage! Yes, we lost our dryer, but that is a-ok with me! Better to lose a dryer than a loved one or a pet or a whole house!
So today I am feeling very thankful and blessed. Just thought I'd share our scary experience with all of you and remind you all to make sure you clean the lint out of your dryers really thoroughly!!!
Hope you are all having a good day!
love and hugs
~daniellefibromyalgia, ibs, gerd, anxietyWe either make ourselves happy or miserable. The amount of work is the same.~Carlos CastanedaI wish you all the joy that you can wish.~William ShakespeareHousework, if you do it right, will kill you.~Erma Bombeck