What is a"diplomate in addiction medication"?

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

Regular Member

Date Joined Aug 2008
Total Posts : 71
   Posted 7/4/2009 8:03 PM (GMT -7)   
I found an ad in my local paper for acupuncturist who lists various "qualifications", one being the above and one being a "certified addiciton specialist".  He specializes in "Pain and Addictive Medication".  Practices at a Holistic Healthcare place and at a local hospital's pain management program.
Anyone ever heard of this kind of specialty? 
(In case you read my other recent topic I am considering seeing if a narcotic med may be my next step...so I am trying to figure out if this guy might be someone I should try to see.  Or maybe he helps people that are addicted come off meds?)

Fibromyalgia, TMJ dysfunction, Myofascial Pain Dysfunction, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, hypothyroid, bruxism, endometriosis, medically induced menopause (everything removed!), major depression, going through a divorce to top it off!
Ultram, Soma, Ativan, Lyrica (on and off), Armour Thyroid, Famvir, can't tolerate SSRIs or NSRIs.

Post Edited (RoseCrone) : 7/4/2009 9:06:46 PM (GMT-6)

Veteran Member

Date Joined Jan 2005
Total Posts : 9090
   Posted 7/4/2009 11:43 PM (GMT -7)   
Hi Rose!

It took a while searching but I did come up with a definition. Below is a link where I found most of it. It appears it's a classification system in your area of medical specialty in addition to a medical degree. Here are a few excerpts on gaining credentials from the Pain Management Academy. I found this 'Credential' available in many other medical disciplines too. Not sure what assurances it's supposed to give us as patients though.

Hope this helps,

What are the entry-level requirements to become credentialed?
Diplomate: A Doctorate degree in a related healthcare field and two years of clinical experience
working with people in pain.

Fellow: A Master’s degree in a related healthcare field and two years of clinical experience working
with people in pain.

Clinical Associate: A Bachelor’s degree (or its equivalent) in a related health care field and two years of clinical experience working with people in pain. Clinical experience is time AFTER internship/residency.

Step Two – To become a Credentialed Pain Practitioner you must:
• Be Credential Eligible and approved to sit for the credentialing examination.
• Submit the credentialing examination registration form and fee of $250.
- Examination fees are nontransferable/nonrefundable.
- Examination fees are due prior to scheduling an examination.
- Each examination incurs a separate fee.
• Schedule an appointment to sit for the examination with Applied Measurement Professionals. Instructions begin on page 19.
• Pass the Credentialing Examination. You may refer to your credentialing in written form as:

• Diplomate, American Academy of Pain Management: DAAPM
• Fellow, American Academy of Pain Management: FAAPM
• Clinical Associate, American Academy of Pain Management: CAAAPM

Credentialing by the American Academy of Pain Management is not, and cannot be used as, a Board Certification.


this one is for the American Board of Neurosurgeons...

One statement on their site was interesting...

The ABNS is not concerned with the acquisition of special privileges in the practice of neurosurgery for its Diplomates. It does not define requirements for membership on the staff of any hospital, university, or clinic, nor does it attempt to designate who shall perform any neurosurgical procedure. It specifically disclaims interest in or recognition of any differential remuneration which may be based on certification. Its Certificates do not confer any legal degree of qualification, privilege, or license to practice neurosurgery. The ABNS does not intend to interfere with or limit the professional activities of any duly licensed physician whom it has not certified.
Co-Moderator Fibromyalgia & Chronic Pain Forums ~~~
Fibromyalgia, Ulcerative Colitis, Insulin dependent diabetic, PTSD, dermatitis herpetiformus, osteoarthritis, collapsed disk, and a few other side dishes.


If you ask what is the single most important key to longevity, I would have to say it is avoiding worry, stress and tension. And if you didn't ask me, I'd still have to say it.
George Burns

Forum Moderator

Date Joined Apr 2005
Total Posts : 17497
   Posted 7/5/2009 9:08 AM (GMT -7)   

Rose, Chutz is correct.  They are specialists who have received diplomas for their specialties.  To keep the title of Diplomate, they need to be tested frequently on the new procedures.  My Internist is a Diplomate and that makes him right on top of things.


Forum Moderator/ Fibromyalgia
Fibromyalgia, Crohn's Disease, Ostomy, Diabetes, Autoimmune Inner Ear Disease, Osteoporosis
God does not give us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.    2 Timothy 1:7

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
Forum Information
Currently it is Sunday, November 19, 2017 12:01 AM (GMT -7)
There are a total of 2,895,279 posts in 317,780 threads.
View Active Threads

Who's Online
This forum has 157382 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, Big Tasty.
233 Guest(s), 4 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details
Girlie, Lynnster, Big Tasty, Leets

About Us | Advertise | Donate
Newsletter | Privacy Policy & Disclaimer
Follow HealingWell.com on Facebook Follow HealingWell.com on Twitter Follow HealingWell.com on Pinterest
©1996-2017 HealingWell.com LLC  All Rights Reserved.