Thanks for posting that Alice!!!
I've never given her any onions and thought I was up to date on the things not to feed to dogs, but that's one I didn't know about
. So, goof as I am I just went out and did some reading. Seems is can be a cumulative effect also. That's even more concerning. It basically brings on a bad form of anemia and goes down hill from there. Yikes, not a good thing!
The other one I didn't know that was on a vet site is macadamia nuts! Seems the dog will begin to get lethargic and before a day is over won't be able to walk. Obviously it affects the muscles. They did say that most will recover from this.
The one thing that I find interesting on the issue with grapes/raisins and dogs is that for a long time we never heard of this. Maybe no one had figured it out yet. My male Golden Retriever who we got in the mid '90's used to to out to the grape vines I grew and would smell to see when they were ripe. Then he's go down the rows, put his mouth over an entire bunch of grapes, suck them all off and only the stem was left on the vine. It was a riot to watch and as far as I know he never had problems with them. He lived to be over 12 years old which is good for a Golden.
I found information on Snopes.com that explains it well. Here's a quote from the article and also the link.
Thanks again Alice for bringing up this topic!! Often our pets are our 'kids'. And she LOVED the scratch you sent...it was behind her left ear. But I'm sending you the slobber...lol
According to the ASPCA, around 1989 a disturbing trend began to emerge from the AnTox database used by its Animal Poison Control Center: Nearly all the dogs reported to have eaten grapes or raisins developed acute renal (kidney) failure. These cases were noted all across the USA, with the amount eaten varying widely, from over a pound of grapes to as little as a single serving of raisins.
The database showed that dogs who ate the grapes and raisins typically vomited within a few hours of ingestion. Most of the time, partially digested grapes and raisins could be seen in the vomit, fecal material, or both. At this point, some dogs would stop eating (anorexia), and develop diarrhea. The dogs often became quiet and lethargic, and showed signs of abdominal pain. These clinical signs lasted for several days — sometimes even weeks.
If you're going through hell, keep going.
(> <) Co-Moderator Fibromyalgia & Chronic Pain Forums
Fibromyalgia, PTSD, UC, Diabetic on insulin, collapsed disk, arthritis scattered around and a few other delights.