Hello all. I'm still new here. Posted only once I believe. But I read many of the posts and am encouraged. Now I need everyones help. I received my blood tests back and learned I am genotype 1a, viral load 5,890,000, ALT 125, AST 105. Not
autoimmune hepatitus. But the most disturbing thing is my iron level is very high, 406. So the doc says "you have hep c with activity." I have to have a liver biopsy and ultrasound. After the results are back from those tests, I have to start the process of phlebotomy, (removing blood from my body). Doc said once the iron level is back to normal, my ALT number will go down also. Doc says he is very conservative with hepc treatement and if my biopsy shows no damage, he will probably recommend waiting on treatments. I guess that bothers me because I want the virus gone. It would make since to me that if you wait, it will only be harder to go through the tx. Doc said the tx are not easy and why do it if liver damage is minimal. He said that it is possible that new meds will come out that are easier to tolerate. What do you all think of that? Has anyone on here ever had hepc and high iron levels? Do you think I need a second opinion? Sorry for the long message. I am just really confused.