New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

Regular Member

Date Joined Jan 2008
Total Posts : 29
   Posted 8/7/2008 8:41 AM (GMT -7)   
Hi, I just needed to ask some questions. I know that some of you have went through the treatments and was hoping for some feed back.
 I went back to the DR. yesterday and he is really pushing me to do the treatments.
I found out that the Geno type I have is 1a but he said that on a scale of 0 to 16, 0 being the liver as healthy that my score is a 1.  He also said that he thinks that me being female and 43
with a pretty low viral count that he feels my chances of clearing the virus are pretty good.
 His suggestion to me is either wait two years and start the treatment when he thinks a new drug will be approved by the FDA along with the treatments that are already approved ( the shot and pill)....Or he thinks they are going to be getting to do a trail of the drugs that he thinks will be approved in 2 yrs. He said if I was interested in that it would be totally free. meds, Labs. Dr. visits everything.
 I am seriously thinking about doing it but am terrified. He told me that I would have to do the treatments for 48 weeks. And that I would probably feel like I have the flu for most of that time. Yuck
Has anyone on here done treatment and actually cleared the virus?
 The only thing that he really seemed real concerned about is that my pottasium and sodium levels were low. I already take a pottasium pill daily because I take BP med with a diuretic.  Maybe I need to start eating bananas or something.
 Please pray for me to make the right decision and come to the decision soon as its driving me crazy not knowing what to do.   Thanks,   Soonerfan

Elite Member

Date Joined Jul 2005
Total Posts : 12014
   Posted 8/7/2008 3:45 PM (GMT -7)   

Soonerfan, when do you think you contracted the hep C?  How long ago?  Given the info your doctor provided, I tend to agree with Cary (who replied to you in a new thread with no topic on the main page) that waiting would probably be best, to see what new drug they come up with.  I personally would not want to participate in a trial unless I had tried the current treatment and it didn't work.



Pink Grandma
Veteran Member

Date Joined Nov 2006
Total Posts : 2445
   Posted 8/7/2008 10:11 PM (GMT -7)   
Hello Soonersfan1. Good to hear from you.

When ever I have trouble making some sort of decision I take a walk and clear my mind. Then I think of the pros and cons. Then I try to listen to my heart. I know it sounds stupid but it works for me. When ever I have done this I made a good choice. When I just make a snap decision I tend to make more mistakes.

Thoughts and prayers........... smurf
Pink Grandma
Forum moderator-Hepatitis

When the going gets tough....the tough get going! Don't always know where I going but I get there anyways.

Veteran Member

Date Joined Nov 2007
Total Posts : 505
   Posted 8/8/2008 3:01 PM (GMT -7)   
Hi Sooner,

Sorry for the mistake in oringinal post. I would wait - you have time - especially if you are healthy (as you seem to be). You can wait, regardless it is a wicked treatment. Please talk to others who have gone through it - your Dr. will give you names - mine did. You are in the hardest group to clear (as am I). If there is a better teratment on the horizon - wait. But I wouldn't do a trial - I have done one before & they are meant to collect data - not offer a cure.
New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
Forum Information
Currently it is Friday, December 15, 2017 8:36 PM (GMT -7)
There are a total of 2,905,991 posts in 318,906 threads.
View Active Threads

Who's Online
This forum has 158251 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, dipson.
331 Guest(s), 7 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details
19tarpon47, dipson, rafaeltoral, JGB, ddyss, LivingWithCrohns, Papancha