Ok Timeless Rick and Connie, The Dr. that my brother conferenced with yesterday was the radiologist, he was going to place the TIPS. The GI/Liver Disease Dr was not present, it was my mom and dad and brother and Rad. Dr. My dad is going to talk with the GI Dr. today about
what he thinks my brother should do. I keep trying to tell them they should conference with a Hepatologist. I know the GI Dr. is very experienced, but he is also semi retired and does not do surgeries anymore. We live up in the MT/ID area, there are no medical Universities up here. I looked up on the Scientific Registry site and the closest facilities are Salt Lake and Seattle, and the statistics for Seattle are better but their waiting list is also longer. We have to also make sure it is somewhere my brother can travel to. I was also told by a woman (over the phone) at the hospital where my brother was going to get the TIPS that Medicaid won't pay for procedures done in other states. So, (I am going to be optimistic and say "when") my brother gets approved it sounds like we would still have to come up with the finances another way to help pay for a transplant, or get any kind of reimbursement on the TIPS. I think we should find a Hepatologist and send the CT scan my brother had last week and get a second opinion on the TIPS. The radiologist was concerned about
him already being on the Lactulose and then having nothing more to help control the ammonia after the TIPS was placed. But, I also remember the GP where my brother lives that does the Paracentesis telling my brother that his Ammonia levels were good. I am thinking this radiologist does not have enough experience in ESLD. I asked my mom to find out what % of functioning liver my brother has left, and am waiting to hear what the GI has suggested to my dad. SS is going to call my brother to get the SSI appt for the application set up, and I am going to do a 3 way call and help him with it if need be. By telling the woman at the SSI that he was a TERI case (terminal illness) they should be able to move the phone interview up 2 to 3 weeks. All I know is right now we need to get my brother's Ascites stabalized somehow so he does not keep getting exceedingly filled with fluid to try and save money, I know it is not good for his vascular system or internal organs. When they were at the conference yesterday, my mom said that when he was listening to what the radiologist was saying he quietly sighed and said, "Boy, I sure got myself into a mess this time". I will be awaiting your stats and time frame Rick, I
Sooooooooooooooooooo...........totally appreciate this. Connie, thank you also for your service to all of us on this site, you are awesome. Harp.