Desi, I found the post with the transplant regions. Your brother's consists of OK and TX. He may have to travel to TX.
TRANSPLANT REGIONS in the US
The states comprising each region are as follows:
- Region 1: Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Eastern Vermont
- Region 2: Delaware, District of Columbia, Maryland, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Northern Virginia
- Region 3: Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, Puerto Rico
- Region 4: Oklahoma, Texas
- Region 5: Arizona, California, Nevada, New Mexico, Utah
- Region 6: Alaska, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Washington
- Region 7: Illinois, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Wisconsin
- Region 8: Colorado, Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, Wyoming
- Region 9: New York, Western Vermont
- Region 10: Indiana, Michigan, Ohio
- Region 11: Kentucky, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia
Regarding kidney function, I don't know what else can be done. He may have to undergo a kidney transplant, also.
It seems you are right about hepatologists only being in OKC. That's unbelievable! How far is he from OKC? How about a GI doc where he lives? Just thinking about getting him some ongoing care. I suggest you look into transplant centers in TX and see if there is one that is willing to evaluate him. Then check into Angel Flight for transportation. We have another member (Harpazomeup) who is going through something similar with her brother.
Forum moderator - Hepatitis
"But that was yesterday, and I was a different person then."
Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Post Edited (hep93) : 1/10/2010 4:27:10 PM (GMT-7)