Thanks, Emma and Sandia. I have been through too much to quit now.
The chemoembolization is scheduled for Mon. morning. I have to be there at 8 AM, with the actual treatment being done at 10 AM. (Blood work will most likely be drawn and an IV started (again by the IR himself.) I will be given Versed or another conscious sedation med, and also an anti-nausea med. I think an antibiotic may also be given, as this is an invasive procedure which puts me at risk for infection. Access for treatment is done through the femoral artery, whereby a catheter is introduced and threaded through the hepatic artery to the tumor. Then a massive chemo drug will be given through it, along with an agent that will cut off blood flow to the tumor. For those wanting more info on this HCC treatment, this is a good site:
I am booked for an overnight stay at Mayo and, if I do well, I hope to be home sometime Tues. afternoon. However, if I experience the sides that the IR said I would, I likely won't be on here next week, or just rarely.
Now I need to decide if I will take the van there (which means getting up an hour earlier) or getting a ride from my neighbor. I will definitely need someone to pick me up on Tues. for the trip home.
Thanks to everyone for your support and well wishes. This is just a brief detour on the road to transplant.
Forum moderator - Hepatitis
"But that was yesterday, and I was a different person then."
Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland