Much of my brain haze declined when I cut out foods high in ammonia. There is no at-home test for ammonia but the test for aquarium ammonia will give a pretty good indication of the quantity of ammonia in you urine. The norms are 2 ppm (parts per million) to 8 ppm (in blood) and the water test measure from 1 to 6 ppm. During my worse brain fog period my ammonia (urine) was so far off the chart I know I was probably 4 times higher than normal. If your liver still has normal function it may convert the ammonia from food and caused by bacteria normally in the digestive system to urea and brain functions won't be so affected.
The lab (blood) test for ammonia aren't that expensive even if you have to pay out of pocket.... so if you experience a lot of brain fog, confusion and agitation you may want to get tested.
If you want to know more about the effects of ammonia on the brain, osha has done a lot of research to determine safe levels of ammonia for workers to be exposed to. This research is online and it's worth reading. Ammonia is highly soluble in water... this causes nose to run and eventually it will start causing a lot of flim in your bronchial tubes and throat.
In one particular research OSHA (or whoever was running the test for them) took stray cats and exposed them to elevated levels of ammonia. The cats that simply inhaled it had fluid buildup in their bronchial tubes but recovered. The cats that were exposed to the same levels of ammonia through tubes leading directly into their lungs suffered permanent lung damage.
Here is a snip from the government osha web site:
Ammonia forms a strong alkaline solution in water, and the high solubility and strong alkalinity make it especially irritating to the upper respiratory system. Exposure to ammonia can occur not only from the vapor but also from the liquid and from concentrated aqueous solutions. Depending upon the exposure, symptoms can range from mild upper respiratory irritation to inflammatory processes of the entire respiratory tract with complications of pulmonary edema and bronchopneumonia.
Here's more from a medical website database
An important job of the liver is to make toxic substances in the body harmless. These can include substances made by the body as well things that you take in (such as medicines). However, when the liver is damaged, these "poisons" can build up in the bloodstream. Ammonia, which is produced by the body when proteins are digested, is one of the substances normally made harmless by the liver. Other toxins may also build up. These things can cause damage to the nervous system.
When liver damage occurs, hepatic encephalopathy may occur suddenly, even in people who have not had liver problems in the past. More often, the problem develops in people with chronic liver disease.
Hepatic encephalopathy may be triggered by:
•Eating too much protein
•Electrolyte abnormalities (especially a decrease in potassium) from vomiting, or from treatments such as paracentesis or taking diuretics ("water pills")
•Bleeding from the intestines, stomach, or esophagus
•Low oxygen levels in the body
(My note... remember the warning about hep c medicines... they destroy red blood cells.... the ones that carry oxygen)
•Shunt placement or complications
•Medicines that suppress the central nervous system (such as barbiturates or benzodiazepine tranquilizers)
...and there is a lot more info that I found helpful to deal with my brain fog. ....as always, your mileage may vary.
M 64, detected after taking a 10 panel STD blood test
Started 12 week treatment with Solvaldi and Ribavirin 9-28-15
Genotype 2b -- Load Count 17,000,000
Probably got infected 45 years ago