Brook, when I was first diagnosed with chronic, active hep C, I went through all the stages of grief, including disbelief, anger and depression. Fortunately, I went through all the emotions rather quickly...in about a month. Once I was able to accept that I had the disease, I was ready to seek treatment. Unfortunately, interferon (which is all they had in '93) made my white cell count plummet. The doctor cut my dose in half and it still didn't change the WBC...plus my liver enzymes were not showing any improvement. I went through 2 rounds of this, but neither lasted more than 8 weeks. I could have participated in a research med (which I believe was the combo), but decided I didn't want to--I'd had enough. Except for fatigue, I was feeling fine.
Twelve years later, with no further treatment, I was diagnosed with liver cancer--a huge tumor that had metastasized to the inferior vena cava. I was not considered a surgical candidate. However, over some months, I went through numerous tests and scans at Mayo Clinic. Today I had a brand-new treatment called TheraSphere. It's a form of radiation in tiny glass beads, that is injected into the tumor itself, via the hepatic artery. Two months ago, I had chemoembolization which killed 90% of the tumor. However, even if the treatment I had today kills the other 10%, I will still need surgery to remove the entire right lobe of my liver. I will also need treatment for hep C, as it is still in my blood stream. At the same time, I am faced with needing a 2nd revision on my left artificial hip. I've been in a brace and on crutches since last Sept. I really don't know which surgery to have first.
Sorry to ramble, but my point is that with no treatment, your dad faces liver cancer or cirrhosis down the road. Better to go through it now than have to face a life and death situation. Please let your dad know that with untreated hep C, he is at high risk for liver cancer, cirrhosis, and/or liver failure.
I know that Crohn's is a life-changing disease and difficult to live with. You have to take care of yourself. Therefore, lay out the facts to your dad and encourage him to get treatment...then let it go. Nagging or cajoling him will not work at all.