PPI's have also been shown, in preliminary studies, to increase your chances of catching C. difficile. They think that it's because they supress too much acid and that acid helps kill off bad bacteria before it can take root. So if you're not already on a probiotic, you might want to take one for general gut health.
Also, long-term usage of PPIs has been linked to increased bone loss (that's going to be especially obvious in women), possibly because the suppression of acid interferes with normal calcium absorption. So you might want to take a calcium supplement if you're not already on one, but look out! They typically cause constipation. One with a high amount of magnesium in it, though, is supposed to be the least constipating. If you can tolerate dairy or calcium-fortified orange juice or greens, like spinach, those are probably going to be better on your guts than the supplement.
There's a new theory out about cholesterol, but I don't know how long it will take to be mainstream, but some research has shown that bad cholesterol comes in two sizes, small and large, and that actually the large seems to be unharmful; it's the small cholesterol that gets stuck. Also, some studies have shown that some of the things recommended right now to get rid of bad cholesterol may actually break down the big chunks into the more harmful chunks. Of course, the medical community doesn't want to come out and say, "Oh, we've actually been making you all worse"--like what happened when they first discovered cholesterol and said it was all bad, then found out that only some was bad, and that actually in having people reduce the good, they'd been increasing people's likelihood to have a stroke! So they're going to test that theory out a lot before they declare that they have yet again been wrong about cholesterol (this information came from a book called "The Fat Fallacy" which is, interestingly enough, about the French Diet, which is actually high in "bad" cholesterol, even though French people have much lower levels of heart disease than the average American).
Someone on here said that their doctor told them once that, "We only understand how about 40% of the body works; we guess about the other 60%." Personally, I trust cholesterol information as much as I trust diet information. I saw on the news yesterday that, after the carb-free decade, diet "researchers" have discovered that potatoes and grains are actually good for you (duh, our ancestors have been living on bread since they took up farming, while potatoes have been a staple of the Western diet since the 1700's) and that now they're working on a carb-heavy diet.
These people really get on my nerves.
Mine too. In general, I also greet "news" with a great deal of skepticism but I do have a great relationship with my doc and fortunately I am able to trust him.
I know about the downside of PPI's. I have tried, unsucessfully, to wean myself off them over the years by using more naturopathic approaches and dietary changes. It's an ongoing struggle for me trying to balance risk/benefit on this one. I've not taken anything for the last three days in attempt to discern what is causing the increased c and stomach pain. It's an interesting experiment to see how long I can go before the discomfort of reflux becomes unbearable. So far, it's manageable. But still, the stomach pain and c has not subsided.
I'm still curious to know if anyone else has taken statins and experienced this increased c?