You may very well being experiencing digestive problems from taking the iron andyou are not supposed to take the calcium with it.
Generic Name: Ferrous Fumarate/Docusate Controlled-Release Tablets (FER-us FYOO-ma-rate/DOK-yoo-sate)
Brand Name: Ferro-Sequels
Accidental overdose of iron-containing products is a leading cause of fatal poisoning in children younger than 6 years of age. Keep this product out of the reach of children. In case of accidental overdose, call a doctor or poison control center immediately.
Ferro-Sequels is used for:
Treating and preventing low levels of iron in the blood. It also may be used to treat other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Ferro-Sequels is a combination essential body mineral and stool softener. It works by replacing iron in your body if your body does not produce enough on its own. The stool softener helps to decrease the constipation associated with iron products.
Do NOT use Ferro-Sequels if:
* you are allergic to any ingredient in Ferro-Sequels
* you have high levels of iron in your blood
* you have appendicitis
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Ferro-Sequels :
Some medical conditions may interact with Ferro-Sequels . Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
* if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
* if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
* if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
* if you have inflammation of the colon, Crohn disease, digestive problems, ulcers, certain types of anemia or any blood disease such as porphyria, or a history of bowel blockage
* if you have had multiple blood transfusions
* if you currently have stomach pain, nausea, or vomiting
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Ferro-Sequels . Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
* Doxycycline, mycophenolate, penicillamine, or thyroid hormones (eg, levothyroxine) because the effectiveness of these medicines may be decreased
* Mineral oil because its absorption may be increased
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Ferro-Sequels may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Ferro-Sequels :
Use Ferro-Sequels as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
* Ferro-Sequels is absorbed better on an empty stomach, but may be taken with food if it upsets your stomach.
* If you are also taking a bisphosphonate (eg, alendronate), cephalosporin (eg, cephalexin), penicillamine, quinolone (eg, ciprofloxacin), or tetracycline (eg, minocycline) along with Ferro-Sequels , you may need to space the doses several hours apart. Ask your doctor or pharmacist how much time is needed between doses of Ferro-Sequels and your other medicines.
* Swallow Ferro-Sequels whole. Do not break, crush, or chew before swallowing.
* Do not take Ferro-Sequels within 1 hour before or 2 hours after antacids, eggs, whole grain breads or cereal, milk, milk products, coffee, or tea.
* Take Ferro-Sequels with a full glass of water (8 oz/240 mL). Do not lie down for 30 minutes after taking Ferro-Sequels .
* If you miss a dose of Ferro-Sequels , take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Ferro-Sequels .
Important safety information:
* Do not take large doses of vitamins (megadoses or megavitamin therapy) unless otherwise directed by your doctor.
* Do not take Ferro-Sequels for longer than 6 months without checking with your doctor.
* Ferro-Sequels may cause your stools to darken. This is normal. If you notice a sudden change in bowel movements that lasts for 2 weeks or more, check with your doctor.
* Ferro-Sequels contains a stool softener. Do not take any other laxative or stool softener products without first checking with your doctor or pharmacist.
* LAB TESTS, including blood tests and iron levels, may be performed to monitor your progress or to check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
* Use Ferro-Sequels with extreme caution in CHILDREN. Safety and effectiveness in this age group have not been confirmed.
* PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Ferro-Sequels during pregnancy. Ferro-Sequels is excreted in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are using Ferro-Sequels , check with your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Ferro-Sequels :
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Bitter taste; constipation; diarrhea; green stools; nausea; stomach upset; throat irritation.
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); black, tarry stools; blood or streaks of blood in the stool; fever; vomiting with continuing sharp stomach pain.
Suffered Urgent Diarrhea Attacks After Having Gall Bladder Removed in 1976. This is now controlled by taking Calcium Carbonate.