Citracel is a fiber and as g20man said you should add it slowly to your diet.
It use to be they told everyone to take fiber, but for some it can make things more uncomfortable, but for others it may help. They have slightly changed their position on taking fiber. Of course its essential to get fiber in your diet.
But go slowly and build it up to the dose over time. For some it can actually take up to 8 weeks to get use to it, but for others it can help pretty quickly to regulate going.
There are a lot of good options to try for IBS and for what your symptoms are that can possibly help. I alternate as well although lean towards d, but the pain I get can be extremely severe. I have fouund things that have helped me greatly, especially the pain and bloating and to a large degree my stoll patterns, but it was something you would normally think of to use.
We are not nutritionists, nor can we advise you on nutrition. However, we
want to share with you some things we have learned. In general, fiber is helpful for 85% of IBS sufferers, but has a negative reaction to the other 15%.
Find out from your doctor or nutritionist to see which direction is best for you.
Americans consume, as an average, significantly less than the recommended amount of fiber, according to the National Cancer institute.
Fiber refers to a wide variety of substances found in plants. There are TWO kinds of fiber:
Insoluble Fiber is rough. It passes intact through the intestines, which is
why it is called “high-residue”. It increases the frequency, water content, and looseness of bowel movements. Although crucial for good health, it can be a powerful IBS trigger. It needs to be incorporated into some people’s diets in large quantities, but slowly and with great care. Insoluble fiber should never be taken alone or on an empty stomach, or without your doctor’s advice.
Soluble fiber is smooth, very low-residue, and soothing to the digestive tract. It absorbs excess water in the colon, forming a gel that pushes through impacted fecal matter, and it stabilizes and regulates intestinal contractions. In this manner, it helped prevent the painful spasms and relieve both the diarrhea and constipation of IBS."
This has some good information on fiber for you and foods in general.
IBS Forum Moderator
I am not a doctor. All information I present is for educational purposes only and should not be subsituted for the advise of a qualified health care provider.
Please make sure you have your symptoms diagnosed by a medical practitioner or a doctor.