i know this is an old thread but this thread shows up on the top pages of search engines so many people might still be visiting this thread
id like to try and help people who also share the same symptoms discussed here.
ive had a similar story to what the OP described, feeling a big thump after eating at one time and getting spontaneous heart flutters (arrythmias), and i greatly reduced the frequency of these arrhythmias by basically reducing my daily sodium intake to maybe less than 500mg. the less sodium i ate, the less arrythmias i got until they almost went away completely
heres my brief history:
- after eating kfc (fried chicken) one day, i felt a big thump in my heart, then got shortness of breath, went to emergency room and tests showed all was ok. this was the first time ive ever experienced something like this
- started eating miso soup because i read its "healthy" (high sodium) for about
2 weeks then suddenly had a series of ectopic heart beats (skipped or double heart beats) with shortness of breath, went to emergency room and test showed everything was fine. after this miso soup incident, for the first time ever i was getting daily ectopic heart beats.
- after months of having these daily arrhythmias and more ER visits, doctors told me the cause might be anxiety
- completely changed diet to only vegatables, fruits and water, daily arrhythmias reduced to maybe 10 per week
- started to add sea salt to my food for while because i read about
the health benefits it has (essential minerals), apparently i was adding too much and the arrhythmias returned just like before
- stopped adding sea salt and over consuming sodium and the arrhythmias are now almost completely gone
even though i still get them occasionally (5 per month?) its a lot better than the misery of getting them daily.
I think it's some kind of sodium intolerance. ive tried consuming more sodium than my normal daily intake just to see if the arrhythmias come back and they do. luckily for me they go away after a while if i dont intake too much sodium. if i go beyond i think 500mg-1000mg i get arrhythmias. i dont know exactly how much sodium i need to avoid, all i know is the more sodium i intake, the more frequent and intense these arrhythmias get.
my diet now is mainly steamed vegetables, fruits, 1lb of fish per week and water. this seems to be working great
hope my experience helps
Post Edited (js222) : 5/12/2014 12:27:10 AM (GMT-6)