Posted 3/31/2015 6:55 PM (GMT -6)
Hello. I'm in my third trimester of pregnancy, and I'm having bizarre IBS symptoms for weeks that make me weak and make it really difficult for me to take care of my toddler, and I can't even determine if it is mainly constipation or diarrhea. I feel like I'm going crazy and I seriously don't know how I'm going to last until the end of the pregnancy. If anyone has any insight, guesses, or just reassurance, please help! Details:
- I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis more than a decade ago, but my GI checked out my colon and said that there was no colitis inflammation. He gave me a prednisone taper just in case it was colitis anyway, but that did not help the symptoms. Prednisone ALWAYS takes care of my colitis symptoms so I feel pretty confident in saying that my symptoms are not from colitis ulcers or inflammation.
- For about two weeks I had loose stools, mucus in my bms (sometimes ONLY mucus), and sometimes my bms would be completely liquid. Sometimes I would have to hit the bathroom 8-10 times a day. Under my doctor's instruction, and after the prednisone failed to make a difference, I took Imodium. But the next day I woke up with unbelievable cramps that I recognized as constipation cramps. It was a Saturday so I called my GI's after-hours line, and then followed their instructions to flush out my system in case I was severely impacted. I know it doesn't make intuitive sense that I would be having loose/liquidy stools when I was actually constipated, but apparently that can happen. Anyway, I followed their instructions and took a bunch of saline enemas, followed by drinking magnesium citrate, and then milk of magnesia every night after that. That definitely solved the terrible cramping and I did seem to flush a lot out of my system.
- For a few days after that I felt pretty good and my stools were still soft and semi-formed BUT at least I didn't have liquid stools or mucus any more.
- A week later I got the terrible cramping AGAIN so I did enemas and drank a magnesium citrate again, under direction of doctor. But I started taking Miralax instead of milk of magnesia because the doctor thought that maybe the milk of magnesia wasn't working. That solved the cramping and I continued to have acceptable bms, though still pretty loose and I kept having to go at least 3 times a day.
- It is now a week later and I don't know if I'm actually constipated or not, any more. I have an urgent need to go to the bathroom several times a day, and it is always either liquid or just white or very light brown mucus. I don't know whether I feel like there is stool that needs to come out, so I'm still constipated, or whether this is just spasmodic action in my colon that makes me have diarrhea when I don't actually have any stool to pass. Whatever it is, it kills my appetite, and my anxiety level is super, super high because I don't feel like I have enough energy (or enough time away from the bathroom) to take care of my toddler.
- I feel like my GI has thrown up his hands at my case. But I am this close to going to the ER and not leaving until someone tells me something helpful. I feel like I need to do something different to help me through the rest of my pregnancy and help reduce these symptoms, but I have no idea what to do.
- I have the OK to try Imodium again, and my symptoms are EXACTLY what Imodium is supposed to help with, but I'm terrified that if I'm actually constipated that the Imodium will make it worse. ?? But since I'm getting liquid and mucus stools again, I'm thinking that I should stop the Miralax. Out of fear of doing the wrong thing, today I just stopped taking the Miralax but I'm undecided about the Imodium. I did take a small amount of acacia powder fiber supplement, hoping that it would, like, soak up all the extra liquid in my colon.
Does anyone have any ideas?