IBS and Fecal Incontinence

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

New Member

Date Joined Aug 2006
Total Posts : 1
   Posted 8/3/2006 8:07 AM (GMT -7)   
hello, I am a 21 year old male with IBS and Fecal Incontinence. I have had these problems for almost 2 years now and they are immensely affecting my life. I can't leave the house, I can't work, I can't talk to my friends or hang out with them, I can't do ANYTHING that requires me being in the same room with other people. My problem is simply too embarrassing for me to handle.

My main problem is that I leak every single day, sometimes all day long from the incontinence. I am leaking mostly water and rarely is there ever waste. My boxers and pants become so wet sometimes, it feels like I just sat in a puddle of water. I'll look at the back of my pants to see a huge streak going down the middle, which just totally blows my mind. Even though its absolutely nothing new, it still puts me in a state of "Is this really happening?" I have to completely change my clothes, sometimes multiple times a day.

This is no way to live.

I get occasional constipation and rarely diarrhea. I notice that I leak a lot more when Im constipated though. A lot of the times when I do go, I can only get a small amount out and thats it. I get frequent bloating/rumbling of the stomach with pains in my lower Intestines, but thats just the IBS.

I have gone to the doctor several times and yet has anything worked. I've tried Nexium, Zoloft, Zelnorm, Glycolax, stool softeners, fiber, laxatives and nothing will stop the leaking. Sure, that stuff helped greatly with constipation, but I'm looking to stop the leaking. I can live with the pain from IBS, but the leaking, I can't handle. I am thinking about seeing a gastroenterologist, but I don't know how much they cost and I don't have health insurance.

If anyone has this similiar problem or has experience with this, please respond, it is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Regular Member

Date Joined May 2006
Total Posts : 164
   Posted 8/3/2006 9:35 AM (GMT -7)   

hi someduder,

insurance or no insurance, i would go see a gastrointerologist.  a lot of GI doctors will let you make payments on your bill.  you may need to have a colonoscopy to see if something is abnormal in your colon causing your problem.  i'm just the opposite...i have diarrhea EVERYDAY.  it is awful. 

keep posting on this site because it is a place where people understand and are willing to give you advice and help you deal with this IBS. 

i hope you see a GI specialist.  it may be the best thing you can do right now and help you get some peace of mind and maybe he/she can give help you get some relief.

take care,


Regular Member

Date Joined Jun 2006
Total Posts : 38
   Posted 8/4/2006 4:37 AM (GMT -7)   
hey, sounds like maybe the muscles in ur colon just arent doing there job and holding things in. definately go see a gastrointerologist....u need to check it out and im quite sure they can do something for it,cos leaking isnt normal so that means there might be something not quite right down there...just check it out for peace of mind at least :)

Veteran Member

Date Joined Feb 2003
Total Posts : 1195
   Posted 8/4/2006 6:16 AM (GMT -7)   
I just came back from a surgeon after seeing my GI. Ihave crohns but have the same problem. I have a rectal prolapse. Call your GI or family doc and get some answers. The surgeon thinks I amy also have some pelvic floor muscle impairment. Prof

Veteran Member

Date Joined Jun 2005
Total Posts : 2976
   Posted 8/4/2006 9:13 AM (GMT -7)   
Don't feel alone; there are a number of other people on here who experience incontinence. You definitely need to see a doctor about it, as there may be some repair surgery they can do to tighten up your spincter muscle. There may also be physical therapy that can be done to help strengthen those muscles (this is actually a pretty common complaint among old people and women who have just had babies and I have heard there's exercises they can do to help strengthen their muscles). I have also heard that they are trying botox injections on people who have incontinent bladders and they are having some success on correcting their problems; maybe there's something they can do with it for you.

I know as a man you're going to be offended by this, but women can completely understand about leaking bodily fluids without any control. In fact, most of them do it every single month. There are, of course, tricks that women have learned over the years to get over this leakage problem so that they can go on to have a life; if you're willing to try, it might be something that will allow you to live your life too until you can get some help. First of all, ditch the boxers and go for some briefs. Secondly, buy some feminine pads. I know, that sounds highly embarrassing but trust me, no one will know you have one on; they will notice, though, if you keep soiling your pants. In pads, thinner is better. Too many people think that you need one of those old, inch-thick pads in order for it to be effective. They are just thick because they are not made from very absorbent materials. The thin ones have good, modern stuff in them; I am told they have the same kind of gel as in baby diapers. My brand of choice was the Always slender maxi with wings (I found the wings necessary to keep the darned thing stuck down suffciently). It used to advertise itself as "Great for Teens" and have a heart-shaped emblem on it. They were as thin and as narrow as you could get and worked just as effectively. For your problem, you'd need to place it further back in the crotch of your briefs so that it will catch any leakage (or buy the extra long ones which will cover back that far). Yeah, they're not fun to wear, but it's better than all the laundry you're having to do and having absolutely no social life. They're also better than wearing Depends, which is what some people have to resort to. And you'll find a new appreciation for women who have to go through this kind of thing for a week every month for about 25 years, lol.

Don't be embarrassed about buying pads; men do it all the time for their wives and girlfriends. If you decide to go out for a few hours, you may feel the need to take a spare along with you. This isn't a problem for women because they carry a purse, but for a man you'll need to improvise you a purse. Given that you're still young, carrying a backpack shouldn't be unusual. Just get yourself one that's kind of small and carry it around with you everywhere. You can put cool guy stuff in it, like magazines, CD/MP3 player and cellphone in it and no one will think a thing about it (it's getting to the point where designers are starting to try to come up with man purses anyways because most men have a problem now of having more gadgets than they have pockets to carry them in). You can get a little zippered pouch to stash your pad in and put it in your backback and that way no one will see it when you are digging around in there for something else. Because men's rooms don't have a trash receptacle in the stall like women's do (I assume they don't, anyways), just roll your used pad up in some toliet paper and stick it back in your pouch (or, if no one is in the room with you, toss it in the regular trash can) and you can toss it when you get home.

The other thing a lot of women do when it's "that time of the month" is wear black pants because it's less likely to show stains (not really a problem for you since you said your discharge is clear--but wetness should be less obvious with black than with other colors). You can also dress yourself so that you have something covering your rear-end at all times, like an untucked Oxford. You can also make good use of a long-sleeved Oxford by tying it around your waist.

So long as you have something in place to catch your leakage, there shouldn't be any reason at all why you can't go out with friends some and work (working being the best way to get insurance so you can get that problem fixed for good).

I hope you find something that will help you.

New Member

Date Joined Aug 2006
Total Posts : 11
   Posted 8/15/2006 9:25 PM (GMT -7)   

Ok Someduder, I know exactly how you are suffering. It is embarassing, just so you know, few people if any would notice this, the problem being is that you know it is there. IT is ok though, I have had this for years...when I realized I was lactose intolerant, the leakage went away!!  I only have the leakage if I have indulged in dairy, any type of dairy. I hate that stuff, sometimes the leakage has a gel-like substance to it. That too is from the dairy. Try cutting it out, or get some lactinade I think it is called, you take it at the first bite of dairy. Me, I don't even bother any more, I just dont have dairy at all, and I am dry!!  I hope that helps you. Also, if I have too much salad, I get the wetness as I call it. There are just certain foods that are going to cause this...just be diligent and you will figure out what not to eat!  Also, I take Imodium when I feel it coming on, it will dry it up for the time being so that you can work, or go out and enjoy yourself!!  Don't let this IBS take control of your life, fight it with every ounce of strength you have, never ever give up! That is not an option!! Life is too short to miss out on anything!

Two years ago I had surgery to repair a prolapsed intestine, I had to go to the Gastro first, then he sent me to the best Colorectal surgeons in Houston! Man, he did a great job!!  I went around like this for two years, too emabarassed to speak to a soul about it. Not even my h, and we talk about everything. I just could not believe I was having this stupid problem, not knowing what it was, and not even being able to imagine that it could be repaired. I am doing great now, I just hope I dont ever have to have that again!!

Don't be afraid to try those pads...they are the greatest. They are so small and thin,you could fold one up and put it in your back pocket!!!  I carry them everywhere, you never know......

Yes, do go on to the Gastro, it is important.....they can help you!

Let me know if you try any of this, I hope I said at least one thing that may help you!!!!



Elite Member

Date Joined Feb 2004
Total Posts : 20577
   Posted 8/15/2006 10:31 PM (GMT -7)   
You need to see a gastroenterologist...you could have a prolapsed rectom or some other serious problem going on...do what you can to see a gastro asap.

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
Forum Information
Currently it is Monday, December 18, 2017 1:51 PM (GMT -7)
There are a total of 2,906,814 posts in 319,001 threads.
View Active Threads

Who's Online
This forum has 158342 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, Typingservice2017.
385 Guest(s), 11 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details
Sponge60, PeppermintTea, Solaris719, Planny, 1000Daisies, 1success, ASAdvocate, NKinney, gabybee, kodaska, straydog