I have UC and this is one of my biggest challenges. Unfortunately not only do I get the "Oh No" feeling, but quite frequently I don't make it to a washroom in time. This has lead to embarrassing moments in malls, the car, planes, trains, grocery stores, on hikes and well, just about anywhere!! *sigh*
How I cope (this is a work in progress):
- I wear a sanitary napkin everytime I leave the house and am feeling even a little bit unsure about how my tummy will behave.
- I carry a "kit" with me that contains a spare pair of undies, wipes, a new pad, and a little perfume.
- I always have a change of clothes in my car.
- At my worst I was wearing depends.
- I wear dark pants/shorts always.
- If traveling long distances I really moderate my diet for a few days before I leave, and then I take a swig of pepto and an immodium.
- When I am stuck in traffic or another uncomfortable setting I breathe deeply and try to distract myself.
- I am just starting to try bio-feedback and meditation.
Most of all, I have learned to except that this is going to happen to me. People can judge what they want, and yes its very embarrasing - but I can't control it, so I try my best not to feel guilty about it. For example, 2 weeks ago on a gorgeous sunny afternoon I really wanted to head outside to take some photos along the shore. I felt "ok" so convinced myself all was fine, and headed out. 10 mins later I was out on this goreous rocky beach, with a few people along the shoreline near me, when I got the "OH NO" sensation. There truely was no place to squat, no bathroom to run to, nothing. So I pooped my pants (I had a pad on). Then i finished taking the photos I wanted to get - headed back to my car - avoiding people 'cause I felt soooo stinky and headed home to a shower and clean clothes.
Not an ideal day - but at least I got out.
Diagnosed with UC in 1996, symptoms since 1990
Dignosed with Depression - Jan 17th, take SAM-e and fish oil + therapy
Currently in a UC flare since spring 2003 (on and off, but always there)
Salofalk Sup per day, + fiber & aloe;
New city & new job as of 2 months ago!! But still trying to watch my diet and stress levels