Anal/Rectal Lesions

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

New Member

Date Joined Jun 2007
Total Posts : 7
   Posted 6/12/2007 11:49 AM (GMT -7)   

I have yet to be diagnosed with IBS, but I would venture to guess that I suffer from it. It runs in my family (mother and sister) and since high school I have suffered from diharrea quite often, I am 29 years old now. Its been espeically bad the last year and all symptoms and frequency point to IBS. Anyways, my question...

about a month ago I noticed, while wiping after a BM, that there was a very sensitive spot near the top of my butt crack. After inspection I noticed a lesion. about a week later, I could feel several lesions at different locations on my rectum, which made BMs and just walking and sitting very unforforable. It also kind of hurt internally and I figured I had a hemorroid, but after a doctor visit he shot that theory down and said ntohing was wrong and everything looked ok (to my surprise)! Things kind of cleared up in that I was not in the same kind of agony as before but I still experience bouts of extreme itching and pain. I havent been 100%. I also notice an oil type substance in my crack in the morning, which I thought was sweat before but I am doubting that now.

ANyways, I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on this... I am pretty sure I need to head back to the doctors and probably get scoped. Do UC lesions ever appear on the anal/rectal area?

Thanks in advance... sorry if my post is confusing, it can be quite challenging to articulate this problem (especially for the first time) on a message board!

Veteran Member

Date Joined Apr 2005
Total Posts : 3269
   Posted 6/12/2007 12:05 PM (GMT -7)   
Hi Euclid,
Welcome to HealingWell! :-)
You have come to a great place and we will help and support you as much as we can.
Initially I thought your symptoms sounded like a hemmie, but since your doc nixed that idea, I'm stumped. Did he mention a fissure? Usually people get fissures when they're constipated, which doesn't seem to be your case, but I guess anything is possible.
I do think that if your symptoms are continuing then you should see a doc. Do you have the option to see a different one than last time?

May I suggest you post your question on the Crohn's and/or UC forum as well?
Co-Moderator for the IBS Forum
Please donate to help HealingWell continue to help us.....

New Member

Date Joined Jun 2007
Total Posts : 7
   Posted 6/12/2007 12:30 PM (GMT -7)   
Yeah, I can go to a different doctor. He did mention that there was no sign of hemmie or fissure down there. He told me he had no idea and if my symptoms werent better in a week to come back for the scope. i didnt go back because things did improve, its just not 100%.

I will also post it on the Crohn's/UC board as well...

Im stumped too confused

Veteran Member

Date Joined Jun 2005
Total Posts : 2976
   Posted 6/12/2007 2:56 PM (GMT -7)   
You know, sometimes I get little raw spots on my tailbone or in my butt-crack. It's like cracked skin, you know, like when your lips are way chapped. I've heard of something chapping my butt, but I guess something really does do that to me every once in a while! If you doctor said there's nothing wrong there, then you might just have a skin problem of some sort. Jergens, I think it is, makes a medicated lotion that's for really dry skin. Maybe yours is just so dry back there that it's cracking sometimes. You may want to rub down with lotion after bathing, as hot baths/showers suck the moisture out of your skin. You can also run a humidifier in the winter to combat the dry air in your house, and if you live out west where it's dry in the summer, run one then too.

But getting a second opinion while trying these things wouldn't be a bad idea. It looks like the doctor would have at least noticed the skin irritations that you mentioned and given you an idea of what was causing them.

Veteran Member

Date Joined Jan 2006
Total Posts : 1629
   Posted 6/13/2007 12:20 PM (GMT -7)   
Anal fissures are really common, i get them quite a lot and not always from constipation. With me, they usually heal on their own but if you are worried, do get a second opinion. Your doc mite be able to give you some cream to help with healing.

Victoria x

Xx Sometimes we all have to go a little crazy just to stay sane xX

New Member

Date Joined Jun 2007
Total Posts : 7
   Posted 6/13/2007 1:50 PM (GMT -7)   
How long does it usually take for them to heal?

So they feel like open sores that are extremely painful to the touch? Bouts of intense itching at times???

I have been dealing with this for about a month now in different modes of severity...I am thinking it is a possibility I have fissures... will they occur further out from the anus? One of the sore I have is a line that kind is directed in the same direction as my butt crack and the other is right at the opening of the anus.

I have been using genourous amounts of A and D ointment to help aid in the healing process...

New Member

Date Joined Oct 2007
Total Posts : 2
   Posted 10/11/2007 3:59 PM (GMT -7)   
Hi,I have hemmeroids and then they told me that i had a fissure and said that it would go away well a year later i ended up in the emergency room having a surgery to remove a perirectal abscess which i am sure was from the fissure. My question is now they say that i have a fistula and want me to have surgery does anyone know anything about this surgery? I am very scared because i havent even healed from this one. thanks

Forum Moderator

Date Joined Nov 2003
Total Posts : 7119
   Posted 10/11/2007 8:33 PM (GMT -7)   
anik - What type of surgery are they wanting to do? A fistulotomy? Placing a Seton drain? What did they tell you?

Once you can write the type of fistula surgery they want you to have, please go to the Crohn's Forum here at Healing Well and post your question. There are lots of members there that have had surgery on their fistula. Not to freak you out, but you need to see a gastroenterologist if you are not currently seeing one. The reason I say that it because fistula are pretty uncommon and are most often associated with Crohn's disease.
Moderator Crohn's Disease Forum
CD, Ankylosing Spondylitis, small fiber peripheral neuropathy, avascular necrosis, diffuse connective tissue disease, Sjogren's Syndrome ?

Elite Member

Date Joined Feb 2004
Total Posts : 20577
   Posted 10/11/2007 9:43 PM (GMT -7)   
Euclid :)

Sounds like you're dealing with fissure(s)....take sitz baths with plenty of epsome salts then dry the area completely and gently rub extra virgine olive oil on it...this should help it heal quickly...I have had crohns for 16.5 yrs now and also IBS for the last 5ish yrs.

My bum is broken....there's a big crack down the middle of it!  LOL  :)

Elite Member

Date Joined Feb 2004
Total Posts : 20577
   Posted 10/11/2007 9:46 PM (GMT -7)   
anik :)

Fistulas are typically related to crohns disease because with having crohns disease the inflammation can go through the many layers of the intestinal lining leading to a fistula...fistulas can sometimes happen with having diverticulosis as well, but it's much rarer from what I've heard.

You should see a colon and rectom specialist as well as a good GI, have all the IBD tests (especially regarding crohns) done and go from there.

My bum is broken....there's a big crack down the middle of it!  LOL  :)

Regular Member

Date Joined Sep 2007
Total Posts : 333
   Posted 10/13/2007 8:15 PM (GMT -7)   
I think I may have what you guys are talking about,it hurts to wipe at times and it's like a stinging sensation.They do go away on their own but will come back from wipeing to much for me because of frequent bm's.I'm going to ask my new gi doctor to give any ointments to try to get them to heal faster.

Veteran Member

Date Joined Mar 2005
Total Posts : 2486
   Posted 10/14/2007 12:57 AM (GMT -7)   
Having pain upon wiping doesn't necessarily mean there's a fissure.  Sometimes it's just plain irritated from "going" so much.  The only way to tell what it is for certain is to get a rectal exam.  Mmm!  Don't worry, your GIs have seen it all!  And can (usually) tell you what it is!
If it's not too severe you might just try some hydrocortisone 1% cream.  Just the generic stuff, available OTC.  It might sting a little at first but will likely provide some relief.
Co-moderator - IBS Forum

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
Forum Information
Currently it is Sunday, November 19, 2017 12:39 PM (GMT -7)
There are a total of 2,895,422 posts in 317,798 threads.
View Active Threads

Who's Online
This forum has 157400 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, nakimesy.
346 Guest(s), 13 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details
Froggy88, BobSki, Misalily, cashlessclay, Hoagie, hunter46, tonyaraven, Lynnwood, Larry E, NKinney, Big Tasty, MacroMan, Traneboy

About Us | Advertise | Donate
Newsletter | Privacy Policy & Disclaimer
Follow on Facebook Follow on Twitter Follow on Pinterest
©1996-2017 LLC  All Rights Reserved.