Posted 8/18/2013 10:50 AM (GMT -6)
Hello Bri ..........
Are there no other options? My doctors found an option or two options for me almost 2-1/2 years ago. Let me explain, although keep in mind I am much older than your son, and my primary problem is prostate cancer that came back - then spread to choke off the function of the urinary tract.
I was admitted into the hospital by emergency in early 2011. I had passed out shortly after being carried from the ambulence to the ER ... then was out for close to 28-hours. During that timeframe, they put a dialysis port in my chest and gave me two dialysis sessions before I woke up out of my state of unconsciousness.
Several doctors got together, many tests were made and even with a Nefrologist being a part of the team, they decided to try something else. I was in the hospital for 15-days and only had one more session of dialysis. A few months later, the port was removed. I was given some diet guide-lines ... and the kidneys were apparently functioning fairly well for a year before being admiited again into the hospital.
In early 2012, I was back in ... this time two nefrostomy tubes were put in. Because of my weakened condition, I was in the hospital for 14-days and then into a rehab for 15-days. Three months later, the nefrostomy tubes were removed. One month later, I was back in the hospital with serious kidney problems.
My creatine level was a little over 14 .... extremely high. They immediately placed a nefrostomy tube in for my right kidney because of the blockage to my bladder. And on the left kidney, they put an internal stent ... for the same reason. I later found that my left kidney was very weak and my right was not but the blockage to my right was much greater than to the left.
Now ............ PLEASE ......... keep in mind ......... the blockages in my case were due to cancer spreading. That might have made a huge difference with my options.
I have not had dialysis since early 2011, but the stent and nefrostomy tube both have maintenance issues of there own.
Please check with your doctor, and get a second opinion if needed, for any options possible besides dialysis.
Wishing you and your son the best.
Initial Dx of PCa in 2003/2004
Radiation (5x5wks) & Brachytherapy (96 seeds) in 2004
Low PSA for 6-years
Casodex first - then Lupron from mid-2011 to current
Zytiga from January 2012 (5-months) - PSA increase
Prednisone from early 2012 & Xgeva from mid 2012
Taxotere from August 2012 (30-weeks) - PSA from 54+ to 12+
No chemo (8-weeks) - PSA from 12+ to over 23
Xtandi start - late June 2013 ......