In my case, viruses and diseases (in my case TB) may cause the ANA to elevate and silently destroy your body because the antibiotic therapy did clear them all the way or you werent tested and properly dxed. Has your sister had a TB and hepatitis test and other infectious disease tests and does she test positive for anti-ds-dna or other autoantibodies? Even that might not be definitive. I test positive for p-ANCA, which can be from lupus, but also can be from TB, and have low titers for sjogrens and lupus autoantibodies and anti-LKM1, but was told they can be from other diseases, esp. in my case. I can send you links to articles about
this stuff if you like. This is good news because if treated properly and persistently, some damage may go away. For me steroids could make the TB active and I could spread it, but my endo is so messed up now that they have to do something so eventually I can get them. Many many many diseases now are antibiotic resistance or antiviral resistant, so you need to go to an infectious disease specialist who will really treat you persistently with multiple drugs if necessary or in my case, even surgery, until you are really truly cleared. I learned this the hard way.
I would make sure that she gets really good imaging done. For me, Mayo tells more from an xray than others with an MRI. It matters where you go and who looks at them. Since you have no lupus in your family (and neither do I). for years I was told my mris were neg. I recommend a myelogram if she has spinal issues. I'm going to get a spinal tap now, wish it was done during my myelogram, don't know if they can.
1. Rapidly progressing vitiligo and hyperpigmentation with alopecia. Fatigue climbing stairs.
2-3 43 years old, don't know because I don't know how long I've had it. Had pneumonia three times in first year of life. Always sick, may have always had it, may be a misdiagnosis and I have something else. Still not firm.
My ANA is always high and speckled.
4. some sort of hereditary liver disease on dad's side--poss. AI liver, mom's immune system totally broken down.
5. Tendonitis in shoulder recently, gone mysteriously. Knees hurt bad, sometimes one, then the other sometimes both, often on waking, even feel hot sometimes. No damage. Random numbness or proneness to it if I lean down on my elbows or in wrists. Stiffening of the hands and fingers, hard patches, muscle stiffness that doesn't go away. Sudden aches and pains.
6. Yes, cortisone helps my osteoarthritis tremendously. A good injection by a skilled doc in my sacroiliac joint fixed my sacroileitis for almost ten years. That's a very unusually good response I think, but it helps alot when done right.
7. getting sick with a cold, going out in the sun, not eating right, overexertion, mostly no reason that I know.
8. all mentioned and more
9. High always for fifteen years when tested, speckled, positive p-ANCA--no additional info
--Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us. Bill Watterson (1958-) cartoonist "Calvin and Hobbes"
Ills--Sjogrens-Lupus-like AI Disease, Hashis, Vitiligo, spinal stenosis/fusion with plate, salivary/lymphectomies, Diabetes, NAFLD, COPD, RLS, neuropathy, trigonitis, hystero, diffuse brain atrophy, GI nightmare
Meds--Plaquenil, Evoxac, Metformin, Synthroid, HCTZ, Estradiol patch, Prosed, Detrol, Klonopin, Ultram, Vicodin, Restasis, Albuterol, steroid injections and pred prn