Rheumy or pain doctor

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

Veteran Member

Date Joined Jun 2008
Total Posts : 1470
   Posted 8/21/2008 3:32 PM (GMT -6)   
Hey everyone! I have had a lot of advice from people saying that I should go to a pain dr to get prescribed all my medications. I was thinking about that and then I realized none of the people that suggested this to me had a chronic disease or pain. So I thought I would ask you all your opinions. Should I stick with the rheumy for everything or go to the pain doc for all the pain I am having?
I am also going tomorrow for my apt! Wish me luck. Hopefully we will figure out what is going on with my body and get it under control! I also want to say that this website and forum has helped me so much since I have been diagnosed with Lupus. When I was diagnosed I got overwhelmed and didnt know what to do but you all have helped me greatly!!!

Lupus, Raynaud's Syndrome, Carpal Tunnel
Day Pro, Tramadol, Azathioprine, Prednisone


Veteran Member

Date Joined Apr 2006
Total Posts : 1344
   Posted 8/21/2008 3:44 PM (GMT -6)   
Your rheumy will treat your disese.  Pain specialists treat pain.  If your pain is that bad then you might want to see a pain specialist to deal with that aspect of your treatment.
I never had to see a pain doctor but beside having 2 rheumys who collaborated in treating me I also saw an internist, nephrologist, GI, dermatologist....well, you get the picture.  My rheumys treated my AI diseases but I consulted with specialists to deal with the complicated secondary conditions and diseases I had developed. 
Mixed connective tissue disease (systemic lupus, scleroderma, polymyositis), Raynauds phenomena, Hypertension, Barrett's esophagus.
Meds: prednisone 5mg, 50mg imuran, Lotrel 40/5mg, maxide 37.5/25mg, folic acid, potassium, aciphex 20mg, multi vitamins.
Maintain your optimism and you can beat the odds.
"Although the world is full of suffering, it is also full of the overcoming of it."  Helen Keller

Veteran Member

Date Joined Feb 2003
Total Posts : 5514
   Posted 8/21/2008 3:46 PM (GMT -6)   
Hi Aimsgirl!
Good luck with your appointment tomorrow. Let us know how it goes.
As for your question, I would stick with your rheumy for now and talk to them about your pain.  They are also very knowledgeable about pain medication - only because their specialty is with rheumatic diseases and they're all associated with a lot of pain.  So your rheumy will know what to prescribe for you that won't interact badly with your lupus or other meds.  That's my opinion on it anyway. If you find that you aren't getting the care you need from your rheumy involving your pain, then investigate another specialist.  But it's always tricky making sure everyone knows what you can and can't take.  just be really careful okay!
I can do anything through Jesus Christ who strengthens me. I have learned in whatever state I am in,to be content. Phillipians 4:11-13

34 years old. Diagnosed with lupus in 2000. Fibromyalgia, anti-phospholipid syndrome(APS)(stroke),Sjogren's, Raynaud's, seizure disorder-(miraclulously disappeared!), Libman Sach's Endocarditis, vasculitis, sacroiliitis, arthritis (neck) . Prednisone, Imuran, Coumadin, Clobazam, Amitriptyline, didrocal, Cozaar, calcium, Cykolokapron, multi-vitamin, vitamin D, Magnesium, vitamin B6, Acidophilus

Veteran Member

Date Joined Oct 2004
Total Posts : 2244
   Posted 8/21/2008 8:47 PM (GMT -6)   
Hi Aimsgirl, I agree with Bill and Ginny, stick with your rheumy and be sure to mention the pain you are in. I am sure if necessary they will send you to a pain doc. Let us know how your appt goes. Take care

Trust in the Lord with all thine heart, and lean not unto thine own understanding ~ Proverbs 3:5 ~

DX: Hashimoto's, Celiac Disease, Raynaud's, Lupus and Sjogrens
RX: Imuran, Plaquenil, Methotrexate, Flexeril, Piroxicam, Levoxyl, Folic Acid, Folgard OS (B12), Darvocet (as needed) and magic mouthwash (for mouth sores)

Veteran Member

Date Joined Jan 2005
Total Posts : 8616
   Posted 8/22/2008 6:37 PM (GMT -6)   
Hi Aimsgirl,

Yes, the rheumy should manage the joint and muscle related pain.

IF you have nerve pain or trapped nerves in your spine . . . issues like that . . . a pain doc might be the answer IF your rheumy or GP can't help.

Is your appointment tomorrow with the rheumy or the pain guy?? Is your pain poorly managed??

I hope you'll keep us posted.


In His Grip

AlwaysRosie           "We can't control the waves, but we can learn how to surf!!"

Psalms 139

Co-Moderator - Lupus Forum

UCTD, Inflammatory Arthritis, Diverticulosis, (recent dx - Sjogrens, Crohn’s 4/08)

Clickable Links:  Lupus Resources    Lupous.Org   Lupus Criteria (4 of 11)   Lupus Chapter Locator

Veteran Member

Date Joined Jul 2007
Total Posts : 1048
   Posted 8/22/2008 7:17 PM (GMT -6)   
great advice from great people! Judy
New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
Forum Information
Currently it is Tuesday, August 14, 2018 10:16 AM (GMT -6)
There are a total of 2,992,512 posts in 327,961 threads.
View Active Threads

Who's Online
This forum has 161194 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, Nani170581.
305 Guest(s), 5 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details
alephnull, GoBucks, brrogers10, countess18, Gemlin