I agree with what the others have stated. If it's individual insurance, then most likely, no...they will not cover anything lupus related that you've been treated for within the last 6 to 12 months (depending on insurance company) for a period of usually 6 to 12 months.
In January I lost my job because my company was going out of business for good. They did call back a handful of people to tie up loose ends before liquidating & closing for good, so I did have COBRA available through May, which depleted my savings account. In New Jersey, there is a law, that if one keeps continuous health coverage in one way or another, even if you buy individual coverage after a while...if you were covered the whole time, they cannot use pre-existing conditions to exclude you for those coverages. So I was in a bind..and ended up buying a cheap individual plan after my COBRA was done. However, it's not a comprehensive plan and I have caps of only $500 per year on both any diagnostic tests and prescriptions. And in just a little over 2 months, met my cap on both. I can still get doctor visits for a co-pay, but cannot get any tests done and cant get my scripts either b/c they will no longer pay. All the other plans were way too expensive. The next cheapest one was a high co-pay HMO but that was almost $550 per month, which I just couldnt afford. My state does have clinics based on sliding scales, but they no longer accept single people without children into that plan so I don't qualify for that either. It's really awful they way the health system is in this country. And with charity care, it's ridiculous the income amount that qualifies one for it. No one can live on that amount. Even on unemployment, I make too much to qualify for other assistance. But you still might want to check into your own States' programs to see if you might qualify for something. As for my prescriptions, I will be without some for several weeks (and dread that) but I applied for prescription assistance through Pfizer already and yesterday got my acceptance letter. So per their criteria, I was approved (due to me including an application and letter of hardship)....was approved to receive any of their meds for free. So that was a BIG load off my back! But I still have to wait til end of Sept. to see my Rheum about some of the meds he gives me. I already get generic Plaquenil, which is only about $45/month for 3 months worth, so that is okay. But my migraine meds cost over $200/month regularly so I will ask him to sign my application for Glaxo to get my Imitrex. So there are programs out there that can help with certain things, though i've not found anything that helps with testing.
You might also try to negotiate with doctors, labs, etc.. to see if they would accept payment equal to what they would get paid from insurers. Some of them might bite, you never know...