Someone said...What medication is used for Lupus?
What medication is used for Lupus?
...easier asked than answered! There is no *one* medication for lupus, as it is an unpredictable and contrary disease that manifests in thousands different ways & combinations. Lupus is often called "the disease of 10,000 faces" as no one has the same combination of symptoms. That said...
Let me name a few medications, others may offer some more alternatives.
1) Disease-Modifying: Plaquenil
2) Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatories: Ibuprofen, Celebrex, Piroxicam, Feldene, etc.
---a) Protect stomach with: Prilosec, Prevacid, etc.
3) Immunosuppressants: Prednisone, Methotrexate, Imuran, Cellcept, etc.
---a) Protect bones with Calcium, Vit D with OTC or Boniva, etc
---b) Can lead to numerous yeast issues, mouth (thrush), vaginal, or systemic. I was treated numerous times for vaginal & oral infections before starting treatment with a systemic medication, Nystatin.
---c) Some get paranoid or nervous reactions, treated with Xanax or other anti-anxiety meds.
4) Lupus can physically cause chemical depression, as well as situational depression for loss of activity, profession, etc. so many of us take Anti-Depressants such as Wellbutrin, etc.
5) For those with fevers, hot flashes, night sweats, you might need a fever blister (oral herpes) treatment such as Valtrex.
6) Despite overwhelming exhaustion & fatigue, sleeping 18+ hrs a day and still no energy, a sleeping aid might be prescribed – OTC, or a cross-use med whose side effect is to increase the quality of sleep such as the mild anti-depressant Trazodone. This can decrease sleep and decrease exhaustion! I thought it was a miracle!
7) Pain treatments such as Vicodin & others, as needed.
8) Other meds for special situations, like kidney involvement, skin involvement, etc. I don't know much about
these, hopefully others will fill in.
Lynnwood, Lupus & Sjogren's Moderator
"Life is far too important to be taken seriously" - Oscar Wilde
Post Edited (Lynnwood) : 2/9/2010 7:35:13 AM (GMT-7)