Rheumy vs. General doc??

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

Regular Member

Date Joined Feb 2007
Total Posts : 154
   Posted 6/9/2007 5:48 AM (GMT -6)   
as of right now i do not have a general doctor, i only have a rheumy. is it important that i have a "regular" doctor as well? or is it ok to just have a rheumatologist, seeing as i have appointments every month anyway...i appreciate any feedback!!

Veteran Member

Date Joined Dec 2006
Total Posts : 2818
   Posted 6/9/2007 5:58 AM (GMT -6)   

Hi miscali, I am still working on getting a new rhummy and only ave a PCP. So mine is the other way around. My last rheumy told me that there were certain procedures he was going to leave up to my doctor to do. Plus I don't think my insurance would pay for me  to be seen by my rheumy for "normal" illness things. Since they charge more money. It's just my opinion but I beleive in my case my PCP is more accessible than most rheummies are.




God Bless
 Newly DX's Lupus.Possible CREST,COPD, high PB xanax,triam , vicodin.5x3, Evista for osteo,. oxygen Plaquanil800mil, . effexor. spiriva, xopenex. pred.10.mil.
Come ye, all that are weary and heavy laden, and I will give you rest!

Veteran Member

Date Joined Jul 2005
Total Posts : 5403
   Posted 6/9/2007 8:45 AM (GMT -6)   
misscali, in my opinion, I do think it is really important to have a good pcp (primary care physician). I always picture the pcp as my main doctor who helps me decide if I need to see a specialist and also deals with the "normal" kinds of health problems that the rheumy doesn't want to be bothered with. Even for my headaches my rheumy referred me back to my pcp. I am in the process of trying to find a new pcp since my old one quit and is moving away.

Sometimes it can take a while to find a good pcp, but I do think it's really important.
Diagnosis:  UCTD (lupus) 2006; Raynauds 2006; Sjogren's 2006; lupus symptoms began 2003; CFS 1991; Mono 1985
Meds:  Plaquenil 400mg; Prednisone 5-10mg; Tramadol 100mg 3-4x daily; Amitriptyline 10mg; Neurontin 300mg; Prevacid; Steriod Cream and Mouth Rinse for tongue and mouth ulcers; Hydrocodone 5/500 prn for severe pain; Restasis eye drops



Please allow HealingWell to continue helping others by donating: http://www.healingwell.com/donate/


Co-Moderator: Lupus and CFS Forums

Veteran Member

Date Joined Jan 2004
Total Posts : 4151
   Posted 6/9/2007 11:17 AM (GMT -6)   
Its the same for me as the others misscali. My rheumy is extremely busy and he usually has his nurse screen what the problems are before seeing you (unless its a regular appt) to determine if the problems are caused by Lupus or not. If not, he will refer me to my PCP. I like that better anyway because I know that I can see my PCP the same day if need be where as my rheumy takes weeks to get an appt. Make sure you always keep a log of doctor visits though and why you went in so when its time to see your rheumy, you can let him know. I think its good to inform them of what other problems you are having that you would not normally think are related.

Take Care
Co-Moderator ~ IBS Forum
Co-Moderator ~ Lupus Forum 
Dx: IBS 1989, Diverticulosis 2004, Idiopathic Acute Colitis 2006, UCTD 2007
Meds: Plaquenil 400mg, Chlorzoxazone 500mg, Lyrica 50mg, Protonix 40mg, Naproxen 1000mg, Klonopin 2mg/day (tapering to PRN), Miralax 17g, Supplements


Veteran Member

Date Joined Dec 2004
Total Posts : 8198
   Posted 6/9/2007 11:53 AM (GMT -6)   
Hi Misscali,
  I agree thats it good to have a good PCP and a Rheumy. My PCP is actually a Internal Medicine/GI doc. He covers alot of bases my Rheumy doesn't. I see the Rheumy about every 3 months and if I have other issues I see or call the Internal med doc. I'm very lucky to have found two great doctors taking care of me.... :-) . I also have a great cardiologist!
  I wish you the best. Good luck and keep us updated. You are in my thoughts and prayers.
 Lupus,RLS,RA,Asthma,Fibro,Sjogren's,Raynaud's,Divertic, Stroke,Atherosclerosis,Seizures,Sensory Polyneuropathy
mirapex,advair,foxamax,donnatal,folic acid.
JOB 5:18 For he wounds, but he also binds up; he injures, but his hands also heal.

Veteran Member

Date Joined Apr 2006
Total Posts : 1344
   Posted 6/9/2007 2:57 PM (GMT -6)   
You need a doctor to look after your overall health and a rheumy for lupus.  I have an internist, 2 rheumys, and several other specialists to treat various conditions that have resulted.
A rheumy will have the most experience and best chance to treat lupus successfully.
If your insurance prevents this then you have to make the best choice...decide if lupus is the overriding health concern and find the very best doctor to treat that.  That is usually a rheumy.
Mixed connective tissue disease (systemic lupus, scleroderma, polymyositis), Raynauds phenomena, Hypertension, Barrett's syndrome.
Meds: prednisone (7mg & tapering), 150mg imuran, lisinopril 40mg, maxide 37.5/25mg, norvasc 5 mg, folic acid, potassium, aciphex 20mg, multi vitamins.
Maintain your optimism and you can beat the odds.
"Although the world is full of suffering, it is also full of the overcoming of it."  Helen Keller

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
Forum Information
Currently it is Thursday, September 20, 2018 6:27 AM (GMT -6)
There are a total of 3,005,015 posts in 329,189 threads.
View Active Threads

Who's Online
This forum has 161758 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, VacuumCleaner.
226 Guest(s), 6 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details
SantaZia, BangedUp, 3timechamp, Anitas, Union98, rpgdancer