Peacesoul, I moved into a very mold-infested house five years ago, and my first positive ANA test for lupus about
six months after I moved in there, but the rheumies I saw didn't believe I had lupus at the time. (I had had fibro and other assorted health issues for over six years prior to that.) By the time we moved out last year, my health had declined significantly and when I went to the dr. I tested even more strongly for lupus with the ANA, plus other blood markers and symptoms also indicate it. My feeling is I may or may not have had it prior to moving into the mold-infested house, but the mold is definitely what triggered the lupus to go into a full-blown flare state.
My guess is it varies from person to person: if you are someone who is allergic to molds, you will be more likely for your immune system to be affected by the mold in terms of triggering lupus. But it is not good for anyone - the off-gasses the black mold puts off are neurotoxins, and can affect you when you don't even realize it. A quick google search tonight did find a link on Ehow saying straight out that there is a direct correlation with lupus, that it can trigger lupus and/or lupus flares in some people, and I suspect if I looked more, there would be more citations out there, although the health effects of mold is a relatively new area, and the research is scanty at present.
One last thing: be careful how you clean the area. Bleach can actually end up feeding the mold in some situations. White vinegar, oxy-clean type cleaners in a solution with water, and good old sunlight are much better than bleach. But be careful handling it - think containment as if it was radioactive! I mishandled my clothes washing them when we moved here (I washed everything!) and didn't wear gloves and a surgical mask. The skin on my hands peeled almost down to the flesh, and I got really sick and was bedridden for nearly a month from the intensive exposure. Remember mold feeds and thrives on anything organic - paper, natural fiber cloth, wood, etc. - the best thing is to just get rid of as much of that kind of thing as you can stand to, and wipe down everything. An English friend told me that in Great Britain they don't mess around, badly mold-infested homes and their contents are straight-out burned to the ground. After my experiences, I am not so sure that's not the smartest way to go.
Be careful, and I wish you the best of luck. Take care!
Post Edited (mustangjulie) : 7/4/2010 7:58:10 PM (GMT-6)