Today I took my daughter to "grand rounds" this is where about 10-15 derms come to one clinic to put their heads together about difficult skin problems. Taylor's rash started in early Jan. I took her to the primary peds dr. I thought that it was ringworm. Dr. took a test for ringworm neg. She wasn't sure what it was. Since jan. I have had her in about 6 times because the rash was spreading. It started on her lower right leg by a bruise that she had for about 6 months or more. All they did was try different topical creams nothing worked. Finally I got the dr. to give me a referrel to derm. The derm gave me a topical cream, it worked at first then made it spread more even on her face. Three weeks later she finally got back into the derm after numerous calls. They finally ordered blood tests. The ANA came back faintly pos. They gave her a prescription for prednisone. It started to work right away by fading her rash. I called the dr to see what else they were going to do because she was done with her prescription and the rash was not all the way gone. They said to just keep an eye on it and we did not need to do any futher tests. I told them that they needed to at least redo the blood test. So they did they came back neg. but the rash also started coming back. I went to the dr and said you need to do something if you don't I will when I go to another clinic tomorrow for my other daughter. The dr called the derm dept. and got her in that day. They did biopsies and gave us some more creams but stronger. They set up a appt. for us to see a rhumetolgist. The rhume noticed that her growth rate has dropped in percentage and her liver enzymes were up. He ordered a ultrasound of the liver and some more blood work, he also referred us to the "grand rounds" The derm told me that the biopsies showed results consistant with lupus but this is not the common rash and she is so young. So she also suggested the "grand rounds". The rhume also started taylor on plaquein (sorry about the spelling). She has been on that for about a little over a week. The rash faded dramatically. She is starting to get scared I think. That is my daughter's story in a nutshell (maybe a little bigger, ha ha.) Now we wait again til tomorrow to see what their treatment plan is going to be. I don't know if I should get a second opinion or not? She is also having stomach pain and urination problems. Well hope for the best. I am going away for the weekend so I will post when I get back and let you know the treatment plan.
a hopeful mom