Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to my post. I am sorry I didn't see it sooner as I have not been able to be on the pc too much.
Boy you are right, simple routine procedures just aren't so routine with our bodies are they?
You mentioned that you were on two IV antibiotics. Those would have been Flagyl and Vancomycin. Clindamycin is a front line offender when it comes to causing C. Diff.
I wanted to explain a little bit about how c. diff works. C. Diff is a bacterium that lives in spore form outside of the body. This enables it to protect itself, because while in spore form, not much can kill the nasty thing. Hospitals and nursing homes are notorious for having c. diff, or clostridium difficile bacteria ALL over every surface. Light switches, door knobs, chair rails, elevator buttons etc.
If you have a healthy bacterial colony in your colon, then you can ingest (accidentally of course) c. diff and not be harmed. Your normal healthy bacterial flora stay intact and do not allow the c. diff to colonize your gut.
However, if you take an antibiotic, especially a broad spectrum one like they gave you for your abscesses, these antibiotics wipe out ALL bacteria in your gut, except for c. diff, which has become a super bug and immune to antibiotics.
There are only a few antibiotics that it is not immune to. Flagyl is one, vancomycin is another.
about 75% of people that acquire c. diff are cured with one or two rounds of flagyl or vancomyicn. THe other 25% go on to have reoccurring, relapsing c. diff. Every time we try to go off of the antibiotics, we relapse and get very sick all over again.
It has been a long arduous process, and I am still having complications. I just took stool samples in this morning to see if I am once again relapsing.
So both the hospital and the treating physician were correct. You probably did pick up the bug in the hospital, and it was able to colonize because you had antibiotics.
The only way that one can have the spores introduced to their body is oral. It has to be ingested. So wash wash wash wash wash those hands! Hand sanitizer does nothing against c. diff so that will not help you. Sure wish I had known that when I was in the hospital!
I know all about the strange stools, those of us who have had c. diff can tell some pretty scary stories hehe.
You asked if I could be treated with IV antibiotics. They have found that unless a patient cannot keep anything down (which I can) then there is not a need for IV antibiotics. Flagyl gets into the colon fine, and vancomycin taken orally only gets into the GI tract and not the rest of the body, which is a good thing, because those of us who have had to take or who are taking vancomycin are at greater risk for developing what is called a VRE. A Vancomycin Resistant Enterococcus. A very serious hard to treat infection.
Isnt being sick just a load of fun lol?
Thank you again for your reply Carrie, I am so happy that you are no longer dealing with C. Diff.
Did they tell you to ALWAYS be very careful in the future about taking antibiotics? They should also have told you to vigilantly take probiotics, yogurt of kefir will work just fine.
Chronic Fatigue 1990 * Migraines 1990 * Restless Legs 1995 * Fibromyalgia 2001 * UCTD/probable Lupus 2007* Clostridium Difficile 3/07