I personally don't believe a person needs to herx or feel bad. What is a herx? It's feeling worse when the bacteria dies off, leaving toxins in one's body. So basically it's the toxins that make a person feel worse and if one starts a good detox regime it will help lesson the effects of herxing.
There are several methods of detoxing, the detox baths (think of it as taking a regular bath but you are adding some epsom salts and hydrogen peroxide to warm not hot water). Do this every day and those toxins will come out. Be sure to dry skin brush your body before getting in the bath to open up those clogged pores. Take a shower afterward to rinse off...
Then there are foot baths which use hot water mixed with cayenne pepper and dry mustard powder, once again, dry skin brush the soles of the feet to open up the pores. It release toxins and also raises one's core body temp. Bacteria do not like a warm body but love a cold body.
If you have access to an infrared sauna, that helps too. Drinking lots of water with fresh lemon helps, a healthy diet (no acidic foods, no carbs, no soda, etc.) helps as well.
Exercise is a great way to raise the core body temp. and release toxins plus one is getting oxygen into the body (lyme bacteria can not survive in a highly oxygenated body).
There's lots more but this is fast reply.
Hope this helps,