When I first checked into this message board as I began my search for answers, I was overwhelmed with the amount of everyone's suffering, the mountains of information, and esp, the mountains of questions. I decided I could not allow the Lyme question to consume me, and rule my life, that I would simply get a test and decide how to proceed from there. Wow, was I wrong!!
I will not go into today's symptoms, which first brought me here, and which seem to be connected to a tick known to have been attached for at least 2 days, 2 years ago.
But, midst all my thoughts and questions and research, more stuff has come to mind. It may not even be important, but it seems pretty crazy that I never asked questions about this before my most recent known tick.
Is it even possible that I contracted Lyme from a tick in NC around 1971? I do not believe I have been sick ever since, but WOW did some stuff SEEM to come together as I thought back.
When I was 19, I discovered an extremely engorged tick on my head (long, thick hair
) while washing my hair
. My screams brought in my father, who removed it. Rocky Mt fever was a big scare in NC back then. One week later, I came down w/ a high fever (104), a lump on my neck, followed by severe tonsilitis. No rash, so Dr treated me w/ probably tetra. No one ever thought of attributing this, or the following, to this tick bite, since it did not appear to be Rocky Mt. I am only putting this together now, or trying.
Within 3-4 years of this bite I had:
1. Recurring severe tonsilitis w/ high fevers. I ran persistent low grade fevers and my tonsils stayed enlarged, pock marked, filled w/ pus until I had them removed. (after 2 yrs)
2. A bad neck episode -- stiff neck w/ extreme pain -- 'probably a pinched nerve'. This recurred, probably 4-5 times over the next 20 yrs, with increasing severity. Drs told me there was nothing wrong w/ my neck, even when I could not lift my arm to wash my hair. Finally a kind chiropractor did a complete X-ray and noted 'crushed' discs in my neck.
3. My first urinary tract infection, severe enough for emergency room visit
4. A miscarraige (no cause found)
5. Appendicitis, 5 months into my 2nd pregnancy.
Within 10 years of this bite, I became hypoglycemic, the Dr. discovered my mitral valve prolapse, started having constant heartburn, chronic sleep disorders, and was first diagnosed with depression, which is recurrent. I have had severe, almost constant back pain most of my adult life -- ie; since my first pregnancy. Have always accepted this as caused by marked, but not severe, scoliosis and never sought treatment.
Other than the items above, and until 2 years ago, I have been healthier than a horse! I never thought to connect any of the above, just accepted them as normal 'stuff' that happens to people. Was I right, or was this probably all related?
I ask, because depending on the result of my blood test (hopefully next week), I may want to ask at least my first born to be tested , mighten I? He is healthy
, (ha ha) except for being overweight, low energy, common allergies, and quite cranky. Would it be possible, or even likely that he would be a healthy child
without symptoms, then develope issues later, if I had passed something on to him?
Post Edited (LymeUnknown) : 4/25/2009 3:37:26 PM (GMT-6)