I haven't made it from scratch yet because I've heard it can be tricky although fresh is the best way of course. I buy the packaged Miso. I read today that you can drink it as tea with meals and I did that today with my chicken sandwich I had and it was good. Even my toddler drank some. Keep in mind that you can very the recipe as you want, add mushrooms, carrots, seaweed (extremely good for you), chicken etc...
Here's the recipe...
One important thing that you need to pay attention and remember is to never boil the soup after you put miso. This is because boiling it will ruin some of its healthy properties and change the flavor of the soup!
* 1 block toufu, cut into 1 inch cubes
* 1 scallion (green onion), chopped
* 3 cups dashi soup stock
* 3-4 tablespoons miso paste
* 1/2 tablespoon sesame oil (optional)
1. First, pour the dashi soup into a saucepan and bring to a boil. While you're waiting for the soup to boil, cut the toufu into small cubes, preferably 1 inch each and add them into the soup when it is boiling. Switch to low heat and let the tofu simmer for a few minutes.
2. Now, take some of that dashi soup stock from the saucepan and combine it with the miso paste. Stir until miso is well dissolved and then gradually return the mixture into the saucepan. Stir the soup gently so that everything is well mixed.
3. Turn off the heat now and add in the scallion. Remember to chop the green onion into tiny pieces before adding it into the soup. Add in half a tablespoon of sesame oil for some extra sesame flavor. Serve immediately.